ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

[Offer Now Ended] Acronis True Image for FREE

<< < (6/7) > >>

f0dder:
tinjaw: volume shadow copy, innit?

A nifty thing with Acronis is that the (linux-based, but actually well-working  :P) "recovery CD" or "safe zone" pre-boot environment can access SMB/CIFS (aka windows shares), so you can back up stuff to a server on the lan - and restore from it, even if the windows install is completely b0rk.

Ghost was nice, but I'm done with it since symantec took over. The king is dead, long live the king etc.

tinjaw:
Yes f0dder! You are right. (For those who wish to get all geeky with it.)

Josh:
Ghost was nice, but I'm done with it since symantec took over. The king is dead, long live the king etc.

-f0dder (December 25, 2006, 09:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wasnt ghost always a symantec product? I know they bought out powerquest which had driveimage, but ghost has always been around as a symantec product...

f0dder:
Hmmm, dunno really - can't remember what the age-old ghost.exe was branded as. It's been symantec since at least 2003, though. But change my statement to "since Symantec messed it up" then :)

Carol Haynes:
It was always Norton Ghost (as far as I can remember) but when Symantec acquired Powerquest they started to screw around with the app and basically moved the code over to PQ Drive Image.

Unfortunately in the process they lost both markets - rather like Partition Magic !

There are loads of different imaging solutions that work great and I would definitely recommend most of them before Ghost these days. Acronis works fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version