ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mike-O-Matic on GooTube and The Power of Branding

<< < (3/3)

Deozaan:
I think that several of these items in the list are actually named what they are normally called.

A lava lamp is a lava lamp, isn't it? I mean, I know it's a brand, but it's also the name of the light that heats up the stuff inside and it kind of looks like lava, right?

I use Q-Tip for cotton swaps on a stick, Kleenex for facial tissue, and Saran Wrap for plastic wrap.

And I don't think I've ever heard of a Yo-Yo called anything else, or a Hula Hoop. Isn't an escalator an escalator? The flat ones I've heard are called moving sidewalks. And what about SPAM? For one thing, I've only heard people say SPAM when referring to the canned pork stuff (or junk e-mail, which shouldn't be capitalized--this differentiates it from the branded meat product). I never really thought about it, but I suppose other brands make SPAM-like products. I can't recall seeing them on the shelf at the grocery store, though.

I thought Kitty Litter was the generic term. Brands would be Tidy Cat or. . . something else (I haven't bought kitty litter for about ten years).

I don't think I've ever seen another brand of Zamboni than Zamboni. Of course, I haven't been to many ice rinks in my life.

Also, duct tape is duct tape. People just don't pronounce the T so they think it is Duck Tape. Of course, as was mentioned, there is now a brand called Duck Tape, and I also agree that it was branded such because of the mispronunciation.

Oreos mean Oreos to me. Any other chocolate/white cream sandwich cookie just isn't an Oreo.

I think most people call pain relievers whatever brand they usually use. "Have you got a Tylenol?" Most of the time I just use the chemical/drug name, Acetominophen. Did you know that some Tylenol actually has aspirin in it?  If aspirin can kill you, it's important that you get acetominophen instead of just asking for Tylenol. But hopefully you already knew that if aspirin can kill you.

Novocaine is a specific drug and I've never heard it a general anesthetic called Novocaine.

Also, what is the correct name for a phillips screwdriver? It's certainly a lot easier to ask for a phillips than a screwdriver with a pointy cross shaped head.

shortened list
How many times do you tell someone to "Google it"?

* Q-tips = cotton tipped swabs.
* Kitty Litter = cat box filler
* Band-Aid = plastic adhesive bandage
* Velcro = hook & loop tape
* Duck Tape = duct tape
* Oreos = chocolate sandwich cookies with white cream
* Saran Wrap = plastic wrap
* Escalator = moving staircase
* Allen wrench = hexagonal screwdriver
* Hula Hoop - toy ring
* Yo-Yo = toy
* Lava lamp = decorative light
* Novocaine = local anesthetic
* Tylenol = pain reliever
* Advil = pain reliever
* Jaws of Life = a rescue tool
* Jell-O = gelatin dessert
* Kleenex = packaged folded facial tissue paper
* Phillips Screwdriver = screwdriver with a cross-pointed drive hole
* Pop Tart = breakfast toaster pastry
* Rollerblade = inline skates
* Swiss Army Knife = a clasp-knife with multi-functional blades
* Thermos = vacuum flask
* Zamboni = ice resurfacing machine-app103 (October 17, 2006, 08:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Edvard:
And Band-Aid even changed their jingle in an attempt to head off this kind of "Genericizing".

From : "I am stuck on Band-Aid cause Band-Aid's stuck on me"
To:    "I am stuck on Band-Aid brand cause Band-Aid's stuck on me"

What's interesting is it seems like ultimately trademark owners don't have much ability to defend a trademark that has come so fully into popular and generic usage.

--- End quote ---

True, http://www.devicelink.com/mx/archive/03/03/mchugh.html (read especially the section on "Generic Use")

And on the flip side, does anybody remember the time when Linus Torvalds was forced to trademark the "Linux" name because somebody trademarked it and was demanding money from everybody (aw Bullwinkle, that trick NEVER works!). After trademarking it, he was informed by the proper authorities that he was now *obligated* to enforce conditions of its use and had to demand compensation or acknowledgement from those operating under some version of the name "Linux". Read Linus' kernel-dev post mirrored at Slashdot

*whew* glad I don't own any trademarks...

Deozaan, FWIW-
Yo-Yo (I knew this, but Wikipedia explains it better...)
I've seen SPAM-like stuff selling as "Potted Meat Product" and "deviled ham" would be an even more generic term, although Underwood might have a problem with that.
The proper name for a Phillips screwdriver is exactly that, and the needs of mass manufacturing put his design in the limelight over the Robertson. See http://inventors.about.com/od/sstartinventions/a/screwdriver.htm

EDIT: oops I was wrong... From the same site:Cross-head, or Phillips screw has an X-shaped slot and is driven by a cross-head screwdriver, designed originally in the 1930s for use with mechanical screwing machines, intentionally made so the driver will ride out, or cam out, under strain to prevent over-tightening.
--- End quote ---

So, cross-head it is!!

JavaJones:
Yes, there is an issue with some of these in that yes they're brand names, but there isn't necessarily a generic version of the product.

I don't think "Lava Lamp" works for example because the original inventor called it "Astrolight" or "Astro Lamp", and the people who bought the American rights for it called it "Lava Lite" (which is the registered trademark). Lava Lamp does appear to be somewhat generic.

According to the Wikipedia page Yo-yo doesn't really qualify either, even though a company with the name "Yo-yo" in it did make Yo-yo's. This is similar to how "Motor" isn't trademarked just because General Motors Corporation has the word in its name.

However again according to Wikipedia "Cat Litter" is the proper name for the brand name "Kitty Litter".

Likewise with Hula Hoop, which is an interesting one because apparently the inventors couldn't patent it since very similar hoop toys had been in use for 1000's of years (made of bamboo and whatnot - which is where they got the idea). However they could protect their "Hula Hoop" trademark and thanks to their head start and good marketing efforts no one wanted any other brand of "hoop toy". Nice. :D

Zamboni is named after the inventor, but is also definitely a trademark, although a genericized one now. The general term is "ice resurfacing machine". As evidenced by Olympia Ice Resurfacing Machines.

Oreos are definitely Oreos and anyone calling any other cooke the same is just contributing to the genericizing of that name. I'm actually surprised people in the south call "soda" "Coke". Coke is a much more specific brand name to me. But language is all about use, that's one of the fascinating things about it.

Novocaine is not actually the proper name for the drug and is in fact a brand name. The name of the drug itself is Procaine. Of course the original inventor did also create the tradename Novocaine, so it's kind of a fuzzy one.

Oh and when I tell someone to "Google it", I really do mean that they should look it up in Google. So far as I've seen other search engines continue to be largely a waste of time. :D

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version