topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: would you run a logger that counts how often you see each word?  (Read 4853 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

I need some feedback from experienced netizens. This is for an idea about and web experiments. I know how scared are people about losing privacy and being observed and such (more so after the AOL database was released).

I think an absolutely killer db to have is how often *each* individual sees different words. I'm planning to run an experiment on what I call "personal history corpus"... I cannot post the details here.

If I created one, would you run a logger that counts how often you see each word? I'd pay you (as it is customary in psych experiments) and probabl ask you to do some experimental task (related to memory). But first I need to have the counts of say your last week online (the more the better).

So would you do it? I cannot recompose what you read (for privacy, your data would be anonymous anyway), but the counts may still give you a certain feeling of what the person reads.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 02:19 PM by urlwolf »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: would you run a logger that counts how often you see each word?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 02:18 PM »
i'm game.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 03:09 PM »
I think an absolutely killer db to have is how often *each* individual sees different words. I'm planning to run an experiment on what I call "personal history corpus"... I cannot post the details here.

If I created one, would you run a logger that counts how often you see each word? I'd pay you (as it is customary in psych experiments) and probabl ask you to do some experimental task (related to memory). But first I need to have the counts of say your last week online (the more the better).

So would you do it? I cannot recompose what you read (for privacy, your data would be anonymous anyway), but the counts may still give you a certain feeling of what the person reads.

Every single word we ever see? Or just certain words?

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 04:57 PM »
it takes the same effort, so all words.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 01:15 PM »
it takes the same effort, so all words.

How would it log the words? I don't want my passwords or credit card  or bank account numbers being logged.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 01:20 PM »
ah! very good point.
It would parse the html of the pages you browse, plus the time spent.

What you type, of course, is not logged.
I don't think your password'd be displayed in an html page at all, it's always the little boxes with asterisks instead of chars that you see (and even so, not even the asterisks or anything inside a textbox would be logged).

So I don't see any way that kind of logger would capture your passwords. The same as google doesn't capture them...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 01:52 PM »
So if I read my Gmail where sometimes I e-mail myself information I'll want to keep for later, such as usernames and passwords to websites or FTP accounts, it would parse that information and it would log it and send it to you?

I think I'll pass on this one. I certainly trust you, but I don't like the risk of my private information being out there in some word database that other people might get a hold of. With the way I use the internet and websites, the risk is fairly high to me.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 12:35 AM »
So if I read my Gmail where sometimes I e-mail myself information I'll want to keep for later, such as usernames and passwords to websites or FTP accounts, it would parse that information and it would log it and send it to you?

I think I'll pass on this one. I certainly trust you, but I don't like the risk of my private information being out there in some word database that other people might get a hold of. With the way I use the internet and websites, the risk is fairly high to me.

good point. i think i'll have to give it a miss too. i'm sorry, urlwolf.