ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

anyone tried the google web accelerator?

(1/3) > >>

nudone:
that's just it really - has anyone tried the google web accelerator?

http://webaccelerator.google.com/

i've seen a service that you have to pay for here in the UK which is mean to be okay and works by sending you compressed versions of the the pages you are browsing.

i'm assuming the google accelerator does a similar thing.

nudone:
i've uninstalled it. just seemed to make everything slower - must be the pages i visit - or maybe it's just rubbish.

Deozaan:
From my understanding, web accelerators just cache pages. So if you're visiting pages you haven't seen before, or refreshing old pages, you're pretty much wasting your time.

nudone:
wish i could remember, but the one you pay for (in the UK) does actually deliver compressed pages to you - you can actually configure how much you want the jpg's compressed that are downloaded in the page. there might be other compression settings but i can't remember now.

the main benefit of the service/tool was for dial-up users (obviously) but they did try to push it as a worthwhile service for broadband users also - which seemed less of a good idea.

just thought the google thing might be the same but it appears not (maybe).

f0dder:
Dunno how the google thing works, but they probably cache content... If you have ridiculous high-speed internet and the site has been cached by google already, then it might improve things (considering that not all sites are fast, and google has ridiculous bandwidth and storage). It might also help against the slashdot effect.

But hm, not really interesting to me, as things are now anyway :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version