topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Tagging for text  (Read 5704 times)

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Tagging for text
« on: October 09, 2006, 11:19 AM »
Is there any way to tag a paragraph or two of text either through a web site or a program?

i.e., s'thing like what del.icio.us does for URLs.

May be a word toolbar wherein I can type keywords or tags and it will retrieve the paras that I tagged.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tagging for text
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 03:41 PM »
hi sri, can you explain a little more?

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 09:25 PM »
As I understand it, he's looking for something that would behave much like an online bookmarking service -- but save text instead of url's so you could have tag-organized quotes/paragraphs/etc. -- useful and relatively simple.  Opera has a built in feature for saving notes (though it's not tag based), I believe there's a firefox extension that does it but am not sure what it is (and don't know about it and tags) -- as for web services, I don't know of one that does this explicitly.  However, almost all bookmarking services allow you to store a comment with them, so you could essentially use an online bookmarking service to do this -- you'd still be bookmarking the page you got the text from (references are good anyway, right?), you'd just use the tags to focus more on the content of the snippet rather than the overall page.  A workaround, but a semi-viable one.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 02:55 AM »
allen, The note saving feature of existing web services like del.icio.us limit the number of characters in the text. Also there might be circumstances where I want to tag some text not associated w/ any URL...then such web services are not ideal.

The best web based solution is perhaps Gmail by using tags and drafts. Even this solution is limited because I can't simply type out the comma/space separated tags for a piece of text in Gmail.

After going through one of the recent reviews here on note taking software, I tried Milenix MyInfo and like its note taking and more importantly, the tagging and search by tags feature so far. I think I found I wanted.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 04:22 AM »
I haven't followed the note-taking software thread very closely, but from what i understand, you're looking for some sort of program that will store your notes with a tag-based organizational system. Maybe surfulater would be a solution.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 05:33 AM »
I thought Surfulator didnt have tagging (yet) ?

I have it, but just got it, so not very familar with -
hang on
just did a search - its on the "Future Plans" list!
Tom

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 05:49 AM »
Thanks tomos, i also didn't know if it had, just mentioned since it looks like one of the best note-taking programs out there. But, if that's what sri is interested, i'm sure he can find the right solution at the note-taking thread, or at the Notetaking Roundup by SuperboyAC.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 07:09 AM »
I thought surulator had added tagging.   I know MyInfo supports it www.milenix.com

Kevin

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 07:40 AM »
Thanks tomos, i also didn't know if it had, just mentioned since it looks like one of the best note-taking programs out there.
I think when it does get added it'll be one of the best (Surfulater)
Tom