topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Is AVG really that bad?  (Read 5819 times)

AdIyhc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • aka KikiBibi
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Is AVG really that bad?
« on: October 09, 2006, 07:15 AM »
How come nobody shows any interest in its new security suite? Instead I see people discussing how good NOD32/Antivir suite is and they aren't even out or exist yet!

Topics on AVG usually end up with 0 reply. Does anyone buy the Pro version or its other versions? Why does most people kept saying AVG free is AVG? I think the new anti-malware version will be very different from its free version since it has ewido in it.

Is it really that bad/average that nobody wants to discuss it?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is AVG really that bad?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 07:29 AM »
I love AVG!  And I am an AVG free user.

I am not a pro user because I don't really like all-in-one security solutions where one or more components may be subpar while only 1 is top notch.

There is nothing included in the pro version that I would be interested in, that isn't included already in the free version.

I would be spending money on features I would end up disabling to keep them from clashing with other, better security tools. That would be a waste.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 07:35 AM »
up until very recently i used the free version of avg and was very happy with it.

but then i got a virus that it didn't recognise so i'm now trying the free version of avast. seems okay so far.

AdIyhc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • aka KikiBibi
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 08:41 AM »
Ah at least someone loves it. :)
I'm thinking of cross upgrading my ewido to the suite.
Would love to see some comments on the suite.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 10:49 AM »
I use AVG too - at first the free version but for about 18 months the pro version. I upgraded to support development and so I could have it scan at sometime other than 8 am. I'm still running the anti-virus only, none of the rest of the security suite (I've not tried it). Overall, I've been using it for at least 2 1/2 years and have never had a problem.

AdIyhc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • aka KikiBibi
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 11:53 AM »
I use AVG too - at first the free version but for about 18 months the pro version. I upgraded to support development and so I could have it scan at sometime other than 8 am. I'm still running the anti-virus only, none of the rest of the security suite (I've not tried it). Overall, I've been using it for at least 2 1/2 years and have never had a problem.

Hi Darwin,

How do you rate the technical support during your use? I experienced some slooow response from one AV's technical support but their sales support is very good. :(

So now I'm making sure both technical/sales support are responsive before upgrading.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 12:21 PM »
I was thinking of getting Ewido,
& cause of that was thinking of getting the "AVG anti-malware".
Thats Ewido & AVG pro - innit? - or is it??
The last time I looked they were calling it Ewido still, but now its just Anti-spyware. I presume they just incorporated it ...

Together they come in at a very reasonable $45 or so,
with yearly updates of "approximately half that" (or so i was told)

I'm currently using the free version (AVG) & find it easier to update than AntiVir,
mind you with broadband now its no big deal.

AVG often seems to come a bit down the list in terms of virus detection in any tests I've seen
which is a bit worrying (again: innit?? :) )
mind you,
gizmo says here that the combination of AVG & Ewido detects more than NOD32 (in his tests) ...

Tom

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 05:07 PM »
Antivir's pop-up "info boxes" (advertising) are annoying to me. I won't be using it again.

AVG I like and have been using on many of my machines for years with little to no problems. Ewido is a fantastic compliment to it because it's a superb malware scanner (including adware, spyware *and trojans)  - one of the best IMO. So together they will be a great package IMO and it will make AVG much more competitive with others that include a bit more anti-trojan or anti-spyware stuff by default.

Overall I don't think AVG is much worse than any other basic antivirus scanner, I just think people expect them to detect more than they used to - trojans and even spyware. AVG doesn't really do that as much (although does detect well-known trojans as well as some trojans via heuristics). But again with Ewido in complement it will be great.

- Oshyan

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 05:13 PM »
Hi AdIyhc - I've never had any reason to contact Grisoft's (AVG's) support, so I can't comment  ;D!

AdIyhc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • aka KikiBibi
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 07:10 PM »
I was thinking of getting Ewido,
& cause of that was thinking of getting the "AVG anti-malware".
Thats Ewido & AVG pro - innit? - or is it??

AVG often seems to come a bit down the list in terms of virus detection in any tests I've seen
which is a bit worrying (again: innit?? :) )

Yup ewido + AVG pro = AVG anti-malware. I've ask the author from one of the test whether he will include anti-malware next year. Most probably yes if Grisoft allow it. So that's very positive.

And its pricing is for 2 years and renewal is 50%. :D Great value.

Hi AdIyhc - I've never had any reason to contact Grisoft's (AVG's) support, so I can't comment
-Darwin

Well, that means no issue with other software. :) Great.