ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron? Hardly

<< < (2/2)

Dormouse:
OSX had lots of problems when it launched and various versions have had their own issues. Vista is still being avoided by people wanting productivity.

The recommendation for productivity has always been not to switch to a new version until you know it all works as it should. Usually at least a revision or two down the line. A lot of corporates are still running on NT/2000, though most have decided that XP is stable enough now. Not an issue about Linux taking more time or not being a desktop OS of choice. No sensibly run production environment would have installed 8.04 immediately on its release.

I have one installation of Vista (and it will be the only one ever). I have one installation of 8.04 (which is actually doing what it needs to do). But the rest are XP Pro & 7.10 and it will stay like that until I know an upgrade will do everything we need reliably (and I am just talking about a home network here). If I had just the one machine, new stuff would only go on in virtualisation mode.

We just have to be realistic here; new versions of nearly everything tend to have bugs. And the more new big features there are, the more bugs there tend to be.

zridling:
Software should be released when it's ready, not to meet a deadline or schedule. (Hint to Microsoft: don't "rush" to Win7 just because of Vista's bad press.)

Some say until it becomes a game platform, Linux on the desktop won't take off. But at this point, I'd rather do gaming on a console. Seems cheaper than the [PC] videocard power needed these days to run the best games. Fortunately, I never turned on to Ubuntu, despite testing it over and over.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version