topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Go to folders with #@= character prefixes with one tap on keyboard  (Read 4374 times)

tmpusr

• Joined in 2005
  • Instantiation stuck in meatspace with no backup
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I noticed using characters such as # ' = - is insanely easy. ~ @ +_ are with Shift, not too much trouble.

Prefixing special, important folder names with those gives you speedy access.

Of course there are hot keys to go to any folder anywhere, but this is more context sensitive, within a folder, or if you're in Explorer's Folders Pane and you have the whole tree open, you can jump between folders with these special characters. Expand everything in ROOT using * on the numpad:

ROOT\yad\da\yad\da\# wohoo

ROOT\yad\da\= boom, you're there

ROOT\bla\bla\bla\# wohoo part II

ROOT\stuff\stuff\stuff\stuff\= boom part II

Now tap # and =

I dunno what Coding Snacks you could build around this, but spread this idea far and wide anyway. :D

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i'm not really adding anything but i do agree that it is a useful tip. i've been using _ and . and ! for years to prefix 'special' folders, thereby making them sit higher in my folder trees.

adds a kind of extra hierarchy to folder organisation by making the special prefix character folders rest above standard named folders.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I noticed using characters such as # ' = - is insanely easy. ~ @ +_ are with Shift, not too much trouble.

Prefixing special, important folder names with those gives you speedy access.

Of course there are hot keys to go to any folder anywhere, but this is more context sensitive, within a folder, or if you're in Explorer's Folders Pane and you have the whole tree open, you can jump between folders with these special characters. Expand everything in ROOT using * on the numpad:

ROOT\yad\da\yad\da\# wohoo

ROOT\yad\da\= boom, you're there

ROOT\bla\bla\bla\# wohoo part II

ROOT\stuff\stuff\stuff\stuff\= boom part II
The Surgeon General Warns

Requesting too many weird coding snacks can be hazardous to your health.

Typical victims end up like this:

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/8135/animatedgifaceventuravictorydancepx8ui5.gif
IDEA: Go to folders with #@= character prefixes with one tap on keyboard

tmpusr

• Joined in 2005
  • Instantiation stuck in meatspace with no backup
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  ;D :Thmbsup: