topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: v1.13.01 test  (Read 10908 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
v1.13.01 test
« on: October 07, 2006, 12:44 AM »
i put up a new beta here: https://www.donation.../FindAndRunRobot.exe

i tried to tweak it a bit for slightly faster startup but i'd like some feedback and testing before i officially release it.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: v1.13.01 test
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 04:33 AM »
Just installed it, on first run looks fantastic.i'll see if i can break it :P

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 02:43 PM »
This tweak seems to have paid off . . . it does seem faster launching, yay!

alexp

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Is cheese the plural of choose?????
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 02:19 AM »
I've just updated to this build and I have a small problem with it.

When I press the pause break key to bring up f&rr sometimes a random single number appears in the search field meaning I need to delete it before I can start typing.
Why is it that writers write, but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce, and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So, one moose, 2 meese? One index, two indices? Is cheese the plural of choose?

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 06:20 AM »
Stress testing it (CTRL+ENTER then typing as fast as possible to try to get it to lose the first key press) is promising, only the fastest keypresses can get it to lose characters.

It still seems to use the same number of disk I/O operations on first start with history (~1,300) but is now using about half the number during search (~10,000 vs. ~20,000 before).

There still seems to be a lot of repetitive reading of desktop.ini during search, maybe some of that can be further optimised (store desktop.ini in memory or something)?

BTW mouser, there is a (slightly flaky) PHP script available which parses filemon.log files to give you the top 20 operations performed.
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 06:43 AM »
alexp, can you elaborate a little.
is the # corresponding to the last # you typed when you previously launched a program?
do you have an unusual keyboard? what setting do you have configured for it to show in the search window on launch.

alexp

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Is cheese the plural of choose?????
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 07:03 AM »
Yeah, it seems to be the # of the last program launched.

Don't have a strange keyboard (Logitech® Cordless Desktop® S 510)

Here's sceenshots of my options:

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/6668/061009125740optionspu5.png
v1.13.01 test

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3892/061009125753optionsnk9.png
v1.13.01 test

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/326/061009125810optionsoa1.png
v1.13.01 test
Why is it that writers write, but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce, and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So, one moose, 2 meese? One index, two indices? Is cheese the plural of choose?

Jan-S

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Big Bang enterprises
    • Donate to Member
v1.13.01 - incremental search broken
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 05:55 PM »
Hi!

I've just upgraded to v1.13.01 (from v1.09.04). After figuring out that I need to supply the '-standalone' switch now (I'm using LiteStep to launch FARR on WIN+D) I've run into a serious problem: Incremental search doesn't work anymore.
FARR doesn't attempt to search for matches when I enter some characters, and pressing RETURN just launches the first result of the history (let's call that behaviour State_A). If I disable "Incremental search on each keypress" it works as intended. Enabling the option again while FARR is still running (or disabling it, restarting FARR and enabling it afterwards) returns to State_A.

--> Interesting: I've started FindAndRunRobot.exe without any command line parameters now.
Method_1 = Doubleclicking the tray icon
Method_2 = Right-clicking the tray icon and choosing "Show Find and Run Robot (hit break key)"
Method_3 = FindAndRunRobot.exe -standalone

Method_1 opens FARR, displaying the history and performing incremental searches without any problems.
Method_2 opens FARR without history and without incremental searching. Entering something and pressing return causes FARR to search for that keyword, afterwards FARR is in State_A (i.e. changing the search phrase and pressing RETURN launches the first item instead of starting a new scan).
Method_2 + opening and closing the options without any changes suddenly reveals the history, and FARR is in State_A.
Method_2, entering something, pressing RETURN and clicking the options button while it is still scanning causes a deadlock (hour glass cursor and no reaction on any input, but 0% CPU and apparently it can still redraw its window when its dragged out of the screen and back). --> Not reproducable.

--> Interesting, too:
Method_1, entering an alias: All items are displayed as usual.
Method_2, entering an alias and pressing RETURN: All items are displayed as usual. Well, almost. The list has the right number of entries (as far as I can guess from the height of the list), the entries are in the right order, I can right-click them or drag&drop them whereever I want - but they are all invisible (plain white with no icons and no focus rectangles). FARR is in State_A.
Method_3, disabling "Incremental search on each keypress", entering an alias and pressing RETURN: The same as for Method_2, but FARR doesn't get into State_A (i.e. I can enter a new search and pressing RETURN will search for that keyword unless it's an alias (in which case FARR displays its invisible items (ingenious alliteration) again)).

Anything else you'd like me to try? :huh:

/edit: If you can provide the last two betas I'll happily try them to find out which version introduces the bugs.
Jan Schlüter, author of DoubleKiller and DoubleKiller Pro
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 05:58 PM by Jan-S »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 06:06 PM »
thank you for the report Jan, it looks like some of my recent tweaks are not properly being invoked in methods 2+3.  your description is very clear and i'll try to have a fix up by tomorrow or weds. at the latest.

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 11:40 PM »
Mouser, my subjective impression is that 1.13 is slightly slower than 1.11, and that I lose more initial keystrokes with it than with 1.11. But this really is a subjective impression, quite possibly misleading; my workflow and system load are quite variable, and because I generally use FARR without thinking about it (a tribute to what an elegant and useful program it is), I don't remember anything about it when I don't miss any keystrokes, and generally even when it missed a keystroke,  don't remember how quickly I was typing. (But that said, I don't think I missed any keystrokes in my days with 1.11, and I've definitely missed a few with 1.13).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 02:26 AM »
JanS,
can you try version 1.13.02 -> https://www.donation.../FindAndRunRobot.exe
the problems you identified should be fixed.

wuwei23

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 03:22 AM »
Hey mouser,

Very happy with the responsiveness of the new version, but noticed something a little off with group alias handling today. I have a 'bt' group alias that lets me target various bittorrent search engines. Here are three consecutive runnings of FRR:

It looks like group aliases pick up the last icon in the matching list, the difference comes from where the list has compiled to when I hit 'space' and finally match on the alias.

Not an issue at all, believe me, but I thought I'd point it out anyway :)

- wu wei

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 03:29 AM »
ah thank you for pointing this out..
it's not all group aliases, its aliases which aren't simple progams but might be things like web searches, etc.  thanks for reminding me i'll try to fix it (or claim it's a new fun feature!) :)

Jan-S

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Big Bang enterprises
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 03:16 PM »
can you try version 1.13.02 [...]
the problems you identified should be fixed.
Wohoo, everything works again 8)
I can't tell how I missed FARR during these two days (I didn't backup the old version before installing the new one). Thanks for fixing it that fast! :Thmbsup:
Jan Schlüter, author of DoubleKiller and DoubleKiller Pro

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 03:38 PM »
thanks for the nice words Jan!
ps. i've had occassion to use DoubleKillerPro several times recently and it works wonderfully  :Thmbsup: