topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Google Reader filter - script (Firefox and Chrome/Chromium)  (Read 6986 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Google Reader filter - script (Firefox and Chrome/Chromium)
« on: December 16, 2011, 08:48 PM »
Posted in case this handy script could be of help/use to someone.
I reckon this script - Google Reader filter from userscripts.org - could well be a "must have" for anyone who uses Google Reader a lot and wants to save time.

This filter works consistently for me in Firefox and Chrome/Chromium, and makes short work of sifting through all the posts in Reader.
The ability to filter duplicates out of a busy discussion thread, leaving all but the most recent post/comment visible, is a serious timesaver IMO.
Must have saved me many hours so far, and probably will into the future.

I have tried other filters, but this one always works perfectly, whereas the others all seem to be deficient in some regard.
Example screenshots below: (from Chromium)
(a) With duplicate posts highlighted. (Posts extend below the bottom of the screen, and you would have to scroll to see them.)
Spoiler
SCreenshot - Google Reader - 0 filtered.png

(b) With duplicate posts removed. (See how because all posts fit within the screen, there's no need to scroll.)
Spoiler
SCreenshot - Google Reader - 1 filtered.png

(By the way, if you are wondering about the screenshot layout and colours, it's because I am experimenting with better ergonomics, rather than having to wear snowgoggles to counteract the glary whiteness of the standard Google Reader display. I got snowblindness once, on an expedition years ago, and I don't want to have to relive any part of that experience. I wondered why I always liked using the old IBM green phosphor display screens.)