topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 12:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Get Ubuntu Linux CDs with Shipping for free  (Read 4445 times)

Terry

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Falcon21 Home PC Security
    • Donate to Member
Get Ubuntu Linux CDs with Shipping for free
« on: September 29, 2006, 12:57 PM »
This is for those who still don't know that you can get Ubuntu 6.06 LTS CDs with shipping - totally free. Do get some for your friends and others to try out  ;D

Ubuntu is a complete Linux-based operating system, freely available with both community and professional support. It is developed by a large community and we invite you to participate too!

The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Philosophy: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit.

These freedoms make Ubuntu fundamentally different from traditional proprietary software: not only are the tools you need available free of charge, you have the right to modify your software until it works the way you want it to.

Ubuntu is suitable for both desktop and server use. The current Ubuntu release supports PC (Intel x86), 64-bit PC (AMD64), UltraSPARC T1 (Sun Fire T1000 and T2000) and PowerPC (Apple iBook and Powerbook, G4 and G5) architectures.

Ubuntu includes more than 16,000 pieces of software, but the core desktop installation fits on a single CD. Ubuntu covers every standard desktop application from word processing and spreadsheet applications to web server software and programming tools. Read more about Ubuntu on the desktop and Ubuntu on the server.

Ubuntu website (they also have other favors: kubuntu, edubuntu, xubuntu):
http://www.ubuntu.com

Get free CDs (you need to create an account first):
https://shipit.ubuntu.com

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Get Ubuntu Linux CDs with Shipping for free
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 01:33 PM »
I believe Ubuntu 6.10 is due out 1st of October so it might be worth holding off till then. However maybe they don't out cds so early, I'm not sure?

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 04:53 PM »
afaik 6.10 ("Edgy") will not be shipped on CDs. If you want a stable reliable version, you should stick with "Dapper", which is LTS: Long Term Support. Edgy is the version with all the new experimental features.

There might be Edgy CDs available, but I recommend Dapper unless you know better :) I run Edgy and regret it every second day...

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 05:55 PM »
I was wrong about a release 1st of october, they just say 6.10 final will be out sometime in october.

Housetier, At the risk of bringing this thread way off topic I'd be very interested to hear what it is about Edgy that you dislike, personally Drapper was the last version of I tried but am considering returning to Ubuntu with the next release.