ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's wrong with XP's built-in firewall?

<< < (5/10) > >>

dk70:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/44/ is the best or at least the most simple way for Firefox users. Icon in status bar changes color according to cookie allowed or not. Hard to block your way out of cookie "problem". Right click and there will be options of "allow, session, block, remove". Disable by default certainly can break some site and features, have to go through a "learning mode". I just got Visa card today and so thought I might as well sign up at pay-pal. Got kicked back to registration page over and over - no cookie means no registration though it said I punched in wrong verification number. Had just installed Permit cookies yesterday so still adjusting.

JavaJones:
I know there are a ton of ways to deal with cookie management, some easy, some harder and/or more in-depth. What I'm asking is *why bother*? No one has yet said why anyone should really care, or talked about a bad experience or example of badness related to cookies. It seems to just sort of be accepted that "it's bad, mmmkay?" and so everyone uses all these products to handle it. I don't get it. I don't bother and have never had a problem.

- Oshyan

mouser:
i used to have cookie blocker till i realized it was just an annoyance.
i think if you are worried about tracking the most reasonable solution is to have something that accepts all cookies, but then deletes most when you exit/start browser.  blocking cookies by default is a good recipe for not being able to navigate modern websites.

kimmchii:
blocking cookies by default is a good recipe for not being able to navigate modern websites.
-mouser (October 06, 2006, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

i have a huge host file, 42K entries and i have never had website nagivation problems. 99.99% of tracking cookies/sites/adverts are all blocked.

f0dder:
blocking cookies by default is a good recipe for not being able to navigate modern websites.
-mouser (October 06, 2006, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

i have a huge host file, 42K entries and i have never had website nagivation problems. 99.99% of tracking cookies/sites/adverts are all blocked.
-kimmchii (October 06, 2006, 04:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Again, the question is: why? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version