ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's wrong with XP's built-in firewall?

<< < (6/10) > >>

kimmchii:

Again, the question is: why? :)

-f0dder (October 06, 2006, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

why blocking? because those sites like doubleclick are rubbish, and blocking rubbish will result in faster speed (fewer connections) and better stability for the browser.

Carol Haynes:
I tried using the MVPS Hosts file for a few weeks and found I had so many broken sites I restored my original HOSTS file (which only has a couple of entries I made manually). Like so many things I did not notice problems at the start and by the time I was being bugged I had forgotten about the HOSTS file. I only rememebered when I got an update email. As soon as I removed the HOSTS file my internet experience was so much easier.

Crap Cleaner does a really good job and there is no reason why you could schedule an automatic daily cleanup to keep things ticking cleanly.

Mizraim:
Is there a way (if so please include a walkthrough) to schedual a daily defragger?

Eóin:
Mizraim, I think you are moving a bit off topic here but there really should be no need to defrag on a daily basis :huh:

Carol Haynes:
You can schedule the built in window defragger (but it isn't obvious and I can't remember off hand how to do it). There is an MS article on this here

A simpler solution is to get a copy of PerfectDisc (which I prefer to Disk Keeper having used both) and run it in screensaver mode or use it's built in scheduler. It also has the advantage that you can do boot time defragmentation which allows pagefile and system files to be defragmented and moved into optimum position on the partition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version