ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Let's Make us some Games!

<< < (2/11) > >>

Deozaan:
I think it would be great to follow the ideas of Experimental Gameplay and go with a prototype in a week or less. A previous blog was mentioned by Mouser earlier about something similar, and I especially liked one of the links from the blog, which explained in greater detail what it was all about.

Deozaan:
I have an idea for what seems like a simple game. [As I've been sitting here for the past few minutes explaining it, it seems to have become more complex than my original vision.] Here's the idea:

Summary:

Make a character that can walk around freely and plant things. After planting them you need to nourish them. As you nourish them they will grow bigger. The bigger they are, the more energy they get from the sun. There is an energy bar showing how much energy you have collected. As the plants go without nourishment they use up energy and get smaller. Then night time comes and you have to see how many plants survive with the energy that you've collected.

More Details/Rules:

The energy that you store is a backup reserve. At night the plants will draw energy from this reserve, when the reserve runs out, the plants will begin to wither and shrink.

In the day time the plant will draw give itself a little bit of energy but contribute most of it to the backup reserve. If you don't nourish the plant it will wither, becoming smaller.

When a plant runs out of it's own energy, it folds up and stops getting energy from the sun. When the plant is folded up, it uses minimal energy (1/8th normal usage), kind of like a hibernate mode. If a plant is in hibernate mode for more than five seconds (and reserves are empty), it dies. Dead plants use up moisture from your nourishment, making it harder to nourish surrounding plants.

If it is in hibernate mode for less than five seconds before it gets more nourishment, it then requires the nourishment to grow (arbitrary number here) three levels of growth before it will open up and start getting energy from the sun. Once it gets the nourishment of three growth levels, it opens up and automatically grows to the second level of growth.

Once a plant reaches its sixth level of growth it uses half the energy (shrinks at half the speed of other plants) and thus is able to gain you twice the energy in the sun. It would be nice to get upgrades after certain amount of points to your nourishment tools (water bucket or whatever) so you can nourish more plants and get your score higher.

Plants can be planted at night, but it is not a good idea to do that because your nourishing only works when the sun is out, so they'd just fold up very fast and drain more of the stored energy.

If you need me to explain things a bit better, just let me know what parts I need to detail more.

Mizraim:
Hey that sounds simple and fun! Great start Deozaan. Now we just need to start programming. :up:

Deozaan:
Hey that sounds simple and fun! Great start Deozaan. Now we just need to start programming. :up:
-Mizraim (October 05, 2006, 12:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, you go first.  ;D

Mizraim:
I guess I had better hit the Programming School here at DC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version