ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Blog Article - Social Networking: Time For A Silver Bullet

<< < (2/2)

Mizraim:
Hey thanks for that info. I wasn't picking on myspace, although it IS a place I will never go to. I had just heard that that place was especially bad when it came to malware and viruses.

app103:
To have a myspace account and get involved with the social stuff is something I would never do...you'd have to shoot me first.

But...

Myspace is a great source for free legal .mp3 files. Lots of bands post their stuff there for download. I have found a lot of great music there.

It's almost like what mp3.com used to be.

http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music

Pick your genre...explore the bands...download free songs (at the very least, if the band doesn't offer files to download you can still get to listen)

Mizraim:
So, you get the inside look at local bands and thier music before they become big and sell out?  :o

allen:
At risk of sounding like a cynical ass, my attitude toward social networking services has always been and will likely remain dismissive -- my impression is that it's little more than community building for dummies.

It takes time, effort and like interests to build a community like this and so many smaller communities -- a real personal investment made by many people.  It's that grass-roots, personal investment that gives them their real sentimental value.  These out-of-the-box mish mash communities appear, to me, to be nothing more than instant gratification match-making.

Inherently, a model with so broad an approach makes it the perfect business model and an ideal melting pot for . . . well, the kind of people this instant jack-in-the-box click-go-and-you're-in trendy stuff appeals to.

I don't mean to belittle people that use these services -- it takes all kinds to make the world go round.  I'm just not personally compelled by these things.  More sensation than substance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version