topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Blog Article - Social Networking: Time For A Silver Bullet  (Read 10024 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
There's a reason that Read/WriteWeb is our site-of-the-month for October.  Here comes another nice roundup of social networking sites:

MySpace is booming in popularity; Facebook is gracing the headlines again; Bebo is growing incredibly; Tribe relaunched; Cyworld, Hive7 and SecondLife are nothing short of a phenomenon; LinkedIn is becoming 'People Search'; ITToolbox relaunched with a host of social networking features; Friendster is now refueling itself to enter the market again.

Put simply, social networking is hot and there is plenty of money and action in the SNS space to prove it.
There are hundreds of emergent social networks, but I've shortlisted a few that are worth keeping an eye on (apart from the obvious ones, like MySpace and Facebook):

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Blog Article - Social Networking: Time For A Silver Bullet
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 01:28 PM »
I was wondering something about Myspace... I have heard that it has been known to have many problems with viruses. Almost seems that the more people who use myspace (those less apt to computer safety knowledge) have had many problems with viruses. Any word on this?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 02:55 PM »
I was wondering something about Myspace... I have heard that it has been known to have many problems with viruses. Almost seems that the more people who use myspace (those less apt to computer safety knowledge) have had many problems with viruses. Any word on this?

MySpace is filled with all kinds of malware. I would avoid MySpace like an internet plague. In my opinion there is nothing worth seeing there anyway.

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 03:00 PM »
A agree, it's a place I would never visit. I was just curious if there was any proof that I could show to persuede some people to stay away from it. I have been troubleshooting their computer problems for 2+ years, and it all leads back to my lack of knowledge of myspace, which is used in their home.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 07:25 AM »
dude, remember these are your own opinions, just remember that DC to us can be (and is) myspace to others.. ppl like their playgrounds.. there is nothing wrong with myspace.. i mean you can meet alot of ppl there and do the stuff like build networks of friends etc. but yes, since it's on the net it's obviously filled with crap like spam, malware, etc. so it is best to stay away from those places unless.. well.. unless you like to visit.. ofcourse.

most of the SNS that pop up are just clones trying to be mypsace/friendseter.. there are alot of scripts for SNS, some good some bad.. any one can start one.. and if created and maintained properly.. it's easy to be a big hit and become quite known.

Pretty much alot of ppl try to run their own SNS sites.. all it takes is a script and some time.. it's just like running a blog.
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 07:50 AM »
Hey thanks for that info. I wasn't picking on myspace, although it IS a place I will never go to. I had just heard that that place was especially bad when it came to malware and viruses.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 04:09 AM »
To have a myspace account and get involved with the social stuff is something I would never do...you'd have to shoot me first.

But...

Myspace is a great source for free legal .mp3 files. Lots of bands post their stuff there for download. I have found a lot of great music there.

It's almost like what mp3.com used to be.

http://www.myspace.c...cfm?fuseaction=music

Pick your genre...explore the bands...download free songs (at the very least, if the band doesn't offer files to download you can still get to listen)

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 03:31 PM »
So, you get the inside look at local bands and thier music before they become big and sell out?  :o

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 08:19 PM »
At risk of sounding like a cynical ass, my attitude toward social networking services has always been and will likely remain dismissive -- my impression is that it's little more than community building for dummies.

It takes time, effort and like interests to build a community like this and so many smaller communities -- a real personal investment made by many people.  It's that grass-roots, personal investment that gives them their real sentimental value.  These out-of-the-box mish mash communities appear, to me, to be nothing more than instant gratification match-making.

Inherently, a model with so broad an approach makes it the perfect business model and an ideal melting pot for . . . well, the kind of people this instant jack-in-the-box click-go-and-you're-in trendy stuff appeals to.

I don't mean to belittle people that use these services -- it takes all kinds to make the world go round.  I'm just not personally compelled by these things.  More sensation than substance.