topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Saturday April 20, 2024, 11:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: YAST AND SUSE LINUX  (Read 4460 times)

Hellie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
YAST AND SUSE LINUX
« on: October 04, 2006, 03:00 AM »
I have just converted to Linux and love it.. I have the SUSE Linux 10.1 Enterprise Desktop.

Can some tell me where to find the command line?

How to download Sypheed Claws using YAST. Its a tar ball? I do not understand YAST at all.  T

he help fuction is not much help. The Lunix forums are full advanced geek!

Also whats the difference between tar balls and rpm. How do you download both using YAST??

Is there any other ways to downlooad other than YAST??

I have discovered neutroplis the file manager but thats as far as I have got with it.

This thread is very much Linux for complete beginners, without the advanced geek!!!! 

I am extremely lost!!

Helen 

Ps I am connected to the internet using Evolution and Firefox. Open Office is fine as I have used it Windows. So I am working, it just downloading, which is a pressing problem. I also have not tried my printer yet and think I may have a problem with my graphics card. but downloading is my first priority.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: YAST AND SUSE LINUX
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 03:57 PM »
Generally, have you tried the Suse forums at LinuxQuestions?
Specifically, have you seen this page?

I am unfamiliar with Suse, but generally if it comes in a tarball, it's likely to be source code. If it is an RPM, it's likely to be a binary package. Did you download Sylpheed Claws from the Suse repository or from the SC website? It's usually *safer* to download from your distributions package repository if you want a package that has been tested to work, though there are sometimes exceptions.

Look up your printer model's website and see if they offer Linux support. If it is a Hewlett-Packard, your chances are better...

What brand of graphics card do you have? Nvidia and ATI both offer decent (although not open-source) drivers with fair documentation. Other cards are maybe, maybe not.

P.S. the command line is probably labelled "aterm" in your system menu.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 04:12 PM by Edvard »