ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Aghh -- they've done it again ... avoid Agnitum Outpost 4 (at least for now)

<< < (3/7) > >>

Lashiec:
What's happening lately with security software? All newer versions are giving serious problems to users. Do they test the programs thoroughly or what?

NeilS:
As it stands modifying its files (including their location on the disc) and its registry entries are not allowed. This is potentially a good feature as it means you can always rely on non infiltration intot he firewall software.

I suppose the simple solution in Perfect Disc and DiskKeeper (to name but two) is to declare the Outpost folder as excluded from any defragmentation.
-Carol Haynes (October 04, 2006, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Carol,

When you say "modifying its files ... are not allowed", does this mean that it effectively returns some kind of disk write error when a program tries to write into the hard disk sectors occupied by Outpost files? I can see that being potentially catastrophic, although I'd hope the better degraggers like PerfectDisk/Diskeeper can cleanly "back out" of a sequence of moves when this happens. I don't think I'll be volunteering to prove that out though. :)

I think self-protection is a good move overall (although no solution is immune to attack), but it sounds like they are quite happy to let their customers find out if it causes any serious problems, which I find bizarre for a security application.

Carol Haynes:
I don't know how it works since I have had to uninstall it.

I did get a response from Agnitum tech support though ...

They asked for further detail such as dumps etc. (which I couldn't supply as I had already explained to them that I had found it necessary to remove the software) and their final response is:

Dear Carol Haynes,

Thank you for e-mail.

Sorry, but we are unable to give you any advice as we can't find out
the reasons of the problem.

best regards,
Anastassia,
Agnitum Support Team
www.agnitum.com/support/
Support Service Rate
www.agnitum.com/support/supportrate.php
--- End quote ---

chrisclu:
Actually works great.  I've been using Outpost since pre version 1 and couldn't be happier.
Don't know about your defrager but windows defrager is fine on my system. Of course I put defrag.exe in the antileak exclusion list.

Carol Haynes:
Are you using version 4 ? The aritcle I quoted was from Agnitum and they state that in version 4 defragenters will not work properly and you need to disable Outpost 4 before running defragmenters and registry utilities.

The thing I don't understand is if self protection is supposed to stop you altering files, storing extra files in the program folder and even stop you physically moving files in defragmentation - how come you can do it when you disable Outpost - and it isn't undone when you restart it ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version