ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Aghh -- they've done it again ... avoid Agnitum Outpost 4 (at least for now)

<< < (2/7) > >>

tinyvillager:
It is also worth noting that Outpost version 4 will not allow disk defragmenters to move its files (self protection) or registry utilities ! You will have to disable Outpost before using these tools.

See http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18611
-Carol Haynes (October 04, 2006, 04:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's nice to know,so Outpost 4 is pretty much worthless and a complete pile of crap by that knowledge alone.This is what happens when a firewall tries to be everything,anti-virus,spyware,etc.

JeffK:
I think as a firewall, Outpost is regarded very highly because it is very secure and very configurable.  And this is probably one software type where functionality cannot be sacrificed for ease of use or some quirkiness.  I still like Kerio (now Sunbelt) and if ZA doesn't live up to expectations and Outpost still hasn't got the FUS I'll probably go with that.  The problems with new releases of Outpost seem to be an issue but some users are finding it OK and it has such a big userbase now that problems are very quickly identified and fed back IMHO.

Jeff

tinyvillager:
I still got a license for Sunbelt Kerio firewall,i used to get bsod's though,maybe i'll try it again i've been hearing good things about Comodo Firewall,at least on the wilders forums. :-\

mouser:
just a word in support of outpost - v4 actually looks good to me in terms of features; i played with it on a vmware and i will be upgrading once it is stable, so i really do still like it.  but agnitum seems to take a long time to make their new releases stable so i'm waiting until a few rounds of bug fixing before upgrading.

Carol Haynes:
It is also worth noting that Outpost version 4 will not allow disk defragmenters to move its files (self protection) or registry utilities ! You will have to disable Outpost before using these tools.

See http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18611
-Carol Haynes (October 04, 2006, 04:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's nice to know,so Outpost 4 is pretty much worthless and a complete pile of crap by that knowledge alone.This is what happens when a firewall tries to be everything,anti-virus,spyware,etc.
-tinyvillager (October 04, 2006, 04:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

The problem doesn't arise from feature bloat - actually I think it has a pretty good feature set and at least it is easy to remove anything you don't want (such as the AntiSpyware plugin). The problem arises from the new self protection feature - which is a good idea but it does need the possiblility of declaring safe applications (such as Perfect Disk) to allow access to its files. As it stands modifying its files (including their location on the disc) and its registry entries are not allowed. This is potentially a good feature as it means you can always rely on non infiltration intot he firewall software.

I suppose the simple solution in Perfect Disc and DiskKeeper (to name but two) is to declare the Outpost folder as excluded from any defragmentation.

I presume Agnitum will eventually get to sorting a sensible solution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version