ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Aghh -- they've done it again ... avoid Agnitum Outpost 4 (at least for now)

(1/7) > >>

Carol Haynes:
You'd think I would learn ...

I decided to update Outpost to the new version 4. A number of issues ...

1) It is a CPU hog - it averaged around 50% CPU usage on my system, frequently staying above 90% for periods, and rarely dropping below 25%

2) Slowed down system boot (even more than 3.51 which is bad enough)

3) If you use the new 'secure' mode install you face a never ending barrage of prompts (4 or 5 a minute sustained on my system) which make doing anything useful just about impossible. (I had already checked for spyware and viruses etc prior to installing and my system is clean). I suppose not allowing your system to do anything at all without explicit permission (even when most users, including me, don't understand what 90% of the prompts actually mean).

4) It didn't uninstall cleanly - and I have had the devil of a job to reinstall version 3.51 !!

All in all I would suggest avoing version 4 until they have got rid of the gremlins. The Outpost user forum is also populated with complaints about the new version!

mouser:
at least they are consistent..

im using v3 and i guessed this would be the case so i haven't even considered installing v4 and won't for a long time.

JeffK:
The lack of proper support for Windows XP Fast User Switching prevents me from using Outpost despite having a 2 year licence (which to be fair I got at a great discount through DonationCoder.com).  I sense an air of defensiveness whenever I mention the issue to Outpost afficionados, and no doubt it is a superior firewall.

I have this brilliant DVD player at home.  It does everything a DVD player could do.  The only problem is it is so complicated my wife and my daughter can't use it.  I have this brilliant firewall at home...

lanux128:
i had the same problems with ZoneAlarm until i turned off the auto-updates & reminders after i had down-graded to a lower version.

Carol Haynes:
It is also worth noting that Outpost version 4 will not allow disk defragmenters to move its files (self protection) or registry utilities ! You will have to disable Outpost before using these tools.

See http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18611

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version