ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AppRocket: Quicksilver for Windows

<< < (3/7) > >>

m_s:
Okay, I love the compactness and tiny footprint of F&RR - that's so much better than AppRocket.  But I really, really like the look of AppRocket, and I'm a bit of a sucker for its slidey drawer - eyecandy, I know, but it's very nice.  ;)   And although F&RR is an appealing, compact and elegant design, I find that once it's called up, it's intrusive in a way AR manages not to be - maybe that's simply because it takes up more room before I've even started looking for anything.

At the moment at least, I also find AppRocket is a little quicker - at least I think it is.  My impression is that F&RR is looking deeper, but that AR is getting to the right place sooner.

Just playing around with them both at the moment.  So far, my impressions are superficial but significant - just love that AppRocket design!

mouser:
it's definitely interesting to hear about impressions like this because it gives me ideas (like maybe having option to have F&R window just a tiny thin bar until you start typing.. but then of course you give up one of the useful features which is to have it start showing a list of recently launched apps).

keep in mind one thing about F&R speed -

1) F&R searches the directories you specify (start menu directory in particular) when you start typing, and it keeps a list of the last 50 or 100 files/programs you have launched in the past for superfast finding.  so the FIRST time you find and launch a program it has to find it by searching directories, and after that it will find it right away.  So basically for files you find more than once F&R should be super super fast, but the first time you search for it it might take a little longer.

2) i think you are, but make sure you are setting F&R tray to start using the "main application (runs faster)" mode; the other tray mode is being made obsolete (its slower to startup but uses less memory - and as features are getting added it's no longer practical to support this mode).

m_s:
I love the idea of F&RR being a small bar to start with (my preference is for a skinnable bar, or one that responds to WindowBlinds themes) and then expanding as more links are found - as AR does.  With AR, you can set the size of the drop-down list, either by dragging-and-dropping it, or in preferences. 

Then, to your other points:
1) That's interesting - I didn't know that... Thanks.
2) Yes, I am running in 'Use main application' mode.

mouser:
i got my hands dirty with skinning on the last program added to the site (PopUp Wisdom), and so i could probably add OPTIONAL skinning to F&R with very little effort. and starting out as a minimal height bar and expanding is probably pretty easy to do as well..

m_s:
Woowoo!  Let me know if you'd like anyone to test it...  I agree it should be optional, because I know some people really dislike skinned apps - and I expect the main reason is bloat.  But you managed to do it really well in Popup Wisdom.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version