topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Simple timer/Stop watch app.  (Read 15281 times)

Smarky

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Simple timer/Stop watch app.
« on: October 03, 2006, 10:29 AM »
A nice quick, neat, timer/stop watch app to help with productivity to allow for timed activity, where you can set it for say an hour and then spend an hour fully focused on one task.

There are a many apps out there that what do this however what I would like to see is this:

A windowless application, with no taskbar or system tray button (it's cluttered up enough!) but that can be shown or hidden by using a hotkey. The interface would be a black rectangle with LED font (green or orange, could be configurable) showing the countdown time. When the time is up, the application needs to take focus and be on top of anything else with the possibility of playing a sound.

Might be nice if it also had the following features:

- Nice GUI for when time is up, rather than a boring message perhaps the timer could appear on screen and shake while playing a ringing noise, like an old fashioned alarm clock! (this would be ace! If someone could get it to work right)

- Basic reminder functions, yes there are plenty of apps out there that do this, but why do we have to have a thousand different apps loaded for all different functions, it would be great if you could add basic reminders by time for that day. So you could remind yourself of events and also what is important etc Like at 3pm wouldn't it be great to get a reminder "Are you working on Project x? You know you really need to do it!"

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 10:52 AM by brotherS »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Simple timer/Stop watch app.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 04:16 PM »
Well... I've got something better for you.
Check out app's instant boss. It's the best top of the line productivity enhance timer! :D

Smarky

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 05:34 PM »
Yea I use that at the moment, but I was really looking for something I could hide and call when needed, something with a bit neater UI and without the idea of work, break repeat. Something that was a little bit more flexible, and with the ideas for reminders at certain times of the day I thought it would be great!

Another nice feature would be something like a playlist so you could set it a bit like Instant boss with more flexibility, for example run the timer for 30 minutes, then 5 then maybe 45 then 10 or something like that as you cycle through different tasks.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 05:10 AM »
I was really looking for something I could hide and call when needed

In the absence of an app that does exactly what you want, you might take a look at the tiny free/donationware hotkey application HoeKey which can hide and unhide things:

* Hide|WindowClass|1=HideToTray,2=HideFromEverything
    * Hide current or specified application, add to hidden stack. Optionally show in systray. 2=Do not add application to stack (stays hidden even after quitting HoeKey)

But I'd also suggest you look at Kirby Alarm, which I've heard of but not tried.
Kirby Alarm Freeware
Kirby Software main page
Even the free version might work for you:

Various options are available to set alarms/programs to run every x minutes/hours/days/months/years, or the last Friday in the month, or the last day in the month. You can define intervals such as every 5 minutes, every other day, every second Tuesday of the month, or Monday and Tuesday of every fornight at a given time.. Along with the ability to define intervals, you can also set run times. For example, you could schedule a task to run every 5 minutes but only between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m

Smarky

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 05:47 AM »
Thank you! I might use this for awhile in the abscence of anything better for the reminder part of what i described.

This is a pretty neat app but it's not at all in the form I was looking for!

It's more a reminder/alarm type app, rather than the timer stop watch idea that i posted about. It's also way to complex in terms of options.

With this you can't have a countdown on screen to see how much you have left. Also when hidden via applications that hide the program, the alarm notice doesn't popup either!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 10:06 AM »
It's more a reminder/alarm type app, rather than the timer stop watch idea that i posted about.

I almost suggested "sticky notes"-type applications, but I haven't seen any of them with stopwatch functions.

It's also way to complex in terms of options.

8)

With this you can't have a countdown on screen to see how much you have left. Also when hidden via applications that hide the program, the alarm notice doesn't popup either!

With Micro Egg Timer you can have both, although you may have to "pin" it to keep it on top.  On the other hand, it looks way too simple for your needs  :)

Smarky

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 10:11 AM »
Right, something with a little bit nicer and simpler UI that hides the buttons to set the timer in another options screen and only shows the countdown and something that can be hidden of screen and pops into view when the timer is up, added with an ability to set alarms for certain times would just be so darn awesome! i think lots of people would use it. A lot of the timer apps out there just kinda suck!

Sharky2006

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 07:24 AM »
Hmm, I might take this one. It will be written in C, and I'll add as many of your requested features as possible. Should be done within the next 2 to 3 weeks (or before then, if I'm not busy). And if you have any other ideas/suggestions that'd be great as well, I don't hold back on my Apps and add as many extra features / goodies as possible. Like I said, first release should be within the next 2 to 3 weeks, if not less.  :P

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 08:05 AM »
Pretty cool, Sharky!
Then, if i may start the roll of requests...

Configurable Hotkey (to start/stop the counter ;) )!! :D

Sharky2006

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 09:10 AM »
Sure thing, I'll have a hotkey to start/stop and to show/hide.

Just started writing the window, and I couldn't find a LED font, but I found an LCDd font, just like on most new Alarm Clocks / VCR's. I hope this will do, if not, then send me your suggested font. :P

cowcrombie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 01:50 AM »
I need someone like this too~
the work timer kinda doesn't suit my need.

I need a little program where i can just type in 38 min and 9 sec and press start, and it will start to count down and the play a audio file or alarm bell when the time is up.

I can't find this ANYWHERE online.

thanks~

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 08:39 AM »
I need a little program where i can just type in 38 min and 9 sec and press start, and it will start to count down and the play a audio file or alarm bell when the time is up.

I can't find this ANYWHERE online.

If that's all you want, try Micro Egg Timer as noted above.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 09:04 AM »
I am a big fan of Multi Timer. I also use World Time Clock, Multi Clipboard, Password Generator, and Week Scheduler from Johannes Wallroth as well.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 12:45 PM »
I use this one:
http://www.gonebowlin.com/

Always on top, nonobstrusive.

cowcrombie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 05:49 PM »

If that's all you want, try Micro Egg Timer as noted above.

this is exactly what i'm looking for. Thanks a bunch!