topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Remember the Milk: A task-management website to help you remember ...  (Read 16107 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here's a site that is useful for reminding you of things ...

from bro|thrS
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you for remembering me about this!
I am now using it again, to see if it works for me ;)

Gerome

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Get my Freestyle Basic Script Language + compiler!
    • Donate to Member
Hello,

I subscribed to it, seemed fantastic, the interface was in french naturally, but when i decided to use it, its pseudo transparent colors and keyboard shortcuts and its speed (very slow) have turned me to unsubscribe from this webservice 10 minutes after a pale use...
Sorry, the idea is great, the use (IMO) is detestable.
Yours,
(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN]·._.·´¯)
http://www.fbsl.net [FBSL Author]
http://gedd123.free.fr/FBSLv3.zip [FBSL Help file]
(¯`·._.·[If you need help... just ask]·._.·´¯)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Gerome, don't be hatin'! 8)

It's a great, free service - it must be the DIGG effect, normally the site is pretty fast.

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/ has been recognized not as the most simple, but as the most powerful online reminder service. What I like best (next to the powerful keyboard shortcuts that are similar to those in Google Mail) is that you can set it to send you IM reminders (ICQ, AIM, ...) when a task is due. That's really cool when you work with computers, and even *more* cool when using Miranda with the OSD plugin (OSD=On-Screen Display, like channel number and volume on the screen of a TV set)!

:-*
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 01:13 PM by brotherS »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What I like best (next to the powerful keyboard shortcuts that are similar to those in Google Mail) is that you can set it to send you IM reminders (ICQ, AIM, ...) when a task is due.
That's the feature that was most appealing to me. I simply won't use it's interface, i intend only to e-mail it my tasks and it'll notify me through msn messenger. that's neat :D

Gerome

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Get my Freestyle Basic Script Language + compiler!
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

Gerome, don't be hatin'! 8)

It's a great, free service - it must be the DIGG effect, normally the site is pretty fast.

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/ has been recognized not as the most simple, but as the most powerful online reminder service. What I like best (next to the powerful keyboard shortcuts that are similar to those in Google Mail) is that you can set it to send you IM reminders (ICQ, AIM, ...) when a task is due. That's really cool when you work with computers, and even *more* cool when using Miranda with the OSD plugin (OSD=On-Screen Display, like channel number and volume on the screen of a TV set)!

:-*

I don't believe in the marketting done around this web service.
The idea is simple and great, the interface aka its maniability, ergonomy, choice of pale colours that i can't really see lead me to unsubscribe rapidly...
Yours,
(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN]·._.·´¯)
http://www.fbsl.net [FBSL Author]
http://gedd123.free.fr/FBSLv3.zip [FBSL Help file]
(¯`·._.·[If you need help... just ask]·._.·´¯)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've nothing but love for RTM -- it works great and has kept me from forgetting many birthdays.  I've been using it from the beginning.  Ironically, what I've loved about it is what Gerome hates: the speed and keyboard shortcuts (both of which I've always found more than adequate).  I rather like the orange/blues/greys color scheme as well.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've been testing rtm since yesterday, and i've come to the conclusion that it's very reliable, i just send it a mail with the right parameters and at the right time i'll have a guy in my msnmessenger telling me i need to get stuff done. That's VERY cool :D

Also, from what i noticed, the support is very active, since the problems mentioned in the forum are all solved very fast (and with maximum cordiality, DC-style ;) )

It's definitelly a good idea, now i just need to get used to it ;)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've been testing rtm since yesterday, and i've come to the conclusion that it's very reliable, i just send it a mail with the right parameters and at the right time i'll have a guy in my msnmessenger telling me i need to get stuff done. That's VERY cool :D
Thanks for the reminder! I just read the very helpful http://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/ again and added my personal RTM email to Google Mail. Adding tasks by email works great!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Now what would be perfect would be if you could add it to your contact list on msn/aim/yahoo/etc and just message it and it message you back your reminders at same screen name you used without the need to actually sign up.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Remember the Milk: A task-management website to help you remember ...
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 10:19 AM »
I think app raised a good point. Being able to message it one's tasks through msn would be even better :D

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 04:59 AM »
Now what would be perfect would be if you could add it to your contact list on msn/aim/yahoo/etc and just message it and it message you back your reminders at same screen name you used without the need to actually sign up.
Being able to add reminders by using AIM/ICQ/etc. sounds like a great idea! :up:

Doing that without signing up probably wouldn't be so good:
- you can't micro-manage your reminders online then (changing due dates/times, texts, labels, ...)
- the server would need to accept everything from any IM address, probably making RTM (more) vulnerable to attacks

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 11:04 AM »
How many other DC users use this great service? I still love it! :-*

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 04:17 PM »
I'd like to add RtM has a very nice and efficient mobile interface (something like mobile.rememberthemilk.com).  I find this web site/service invaluable to keep track of small tasks and checklists.

I like the way you can "twist" it to better suit your need.  For instance, I name every added task as follows :
"061228-check donationcoder for answer to my post" for a task entered today.

Then I don't have to play with priorities/due dates to have task sorted out chronologically.

This is particularly useful when I order something from the WEB.  I add a new task on my "e-Commerce" list, which looks like : "061226-Amazon.com ; latest CD from Suzanne Vega".  When I receive the CD, I mark the task done.  I sometimes use the Note feature to keep a log of events regarding this order, such as "order is shipped on ...".
.merle1.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 09:51 PM »
Several months ago I tried out a site like this. I can't remember if it was RtM or not, but I never got the scheduled e-mail and my Spam box has been filling up rather fast since around then.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 04:19 AM »
Several months ago I tried out a site like this. I can't remember if it was RtM or not, but I never got the scheduled e-mail and my Spam box has been filling up rather fast since around then.
Then it wasn't RTM :)

I prefer to get my RTM reminders as IM messages - one digest in the morning, then individual messages over the day.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 09:10 AM »
I want to thank jgpaiva again for reminding me about the "add tasks by email" feature - it works sooo lovely and saves lots of time!