ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Buying New PC. Suggestions?

<< < (12/14) > >>

f0dder:
How much noise does the Raptor make when your room is otherwise quiet? I'm interested in both the (high-pithc?) spinning sound, as well as the head movement noise.

nudone:
i have a couple of raptor drives: they are as quiet as any other drive if you are talking about spinning - maybe even quieter than the 'silent' samsung spinpoints. i know this because i've deliberately swapped drives in and out of the machine to try and work out where a typically annoying hard drive sound was coming from.

the problem you may find with the raptor is the head movement noise - there is no escaping it. i've got both raptor drives inside noise reducing cases and the head movement noise is still very obvious. it's quite a regular noise - funny that it's stopping doing it whilst i'm typing this.

is it a very loud annoying noise? not really. i really hate hard drive noises, i hate noisy pc's, but the noise the raptors make isn't what i'd call annoying. it's not a high pitched sound so that probably helps.

i read on another forum where someone described the raptors as sounding like machine gun fire from a few miles away. which is quite accurate.

i'd describe it like this: if you image someone drumming there fingers on top of a book, tap, tap, tap, in quick succession - then that's the sound of a raptor - how muted that sound is will just depend on the sound insulation you use in the pc.

if want total silence - forget about raptors. if you can handle a slight tapping background noise then they are okay. i do have the pc at ear level with open grills at the front of the case so this will obviously make the sound more noticeable to me. the 120mm slow moving fans in the case are just as loud as the sound of the raptors really, i.e. not completely silent, but more like an acceptable kind of sound - a low humming sound.

(if you really wanted i suppose i could do an audio recording and post it.)

thunder7:
My PC is pretty loud!.
But not from the raptor.
I have 3 fans (Front of case where hard drives are - Side of case - Rear of case).

Then there is my Power Supply fan, My Video Card Fan, CPU fan.

It sounds like a jet ready to take off.

f0dder:
Well, the "machine gun sound" should only be when there's read/write activity (which, granted, there will be a lot of the time on a windows box). Those head movement sounds haven't ever really annoyed me, though - so it's the sound (including pitch) of spinning I'm interested in.

My computer is fairly quiet - at least quiet enough I can sleep with it turned on. The only really annoying thing about it is that sometimes there will be a "cyclic" kind of noise, instead of a "constantly shaped" background noise (a bit hard to describe :)). It's because of resonance, and pressing a bit against the side of the box for a few seconds usually stops it. I need a 50kg steel case, I think :)

nudone:
well, i'm pretty sure the raptor is quiet when it comes to spinning (mine are in cases, so i can't say what they sound like out in the open).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version