ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Buying New PC. Suggestions?

<< < (4/14) > >>

mouser:
its true that agp is being phased out, but im not sure how much you care about that - it's not like it really effects you except if you wanted to upgrade one day to a faster graphics card, and by then in a few years youll want to upgrade the whole thing, so i'm not sure it matters.

mouser:
like i said before id be more focused on the monitor to tell the truth, since that is where they are likely to cut corners to bring the price down.

f0dder:
If you can get a core2duo CPU for a reasonable price, go for it - kickass performance and low power usage (and thus heat generation). Speficially core2duo, not just "core" - stupid intel for having confusing naming schemes. If that's too expensive, probably go for an amd64 (should be cheap, and lower power usage than pentium4).

If you want affordable graphics but still okay performance, a GeForce 6600 should be okay - and cheap by now, since it's "last year's model".

512meg ram, or a gigabyte if you can get it cheap. Less than 512 is going to be a pain.

Humm... there's probably more. Do you need a monitor, dvd burner, etc?

MilesOhToole:
its true that agp is being phased out, but im not sure how much you care about that - it's not like it really effects you except if you wanted to upgrade one day to a faster graphics card, and by then in a few years youll want to upgrade the whole thing, so i'm not sure it matters.

-mouser (October 01, 2006, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Noted.  Hmm...so AGP isn't to be crossed off the list entirely then.  Thanks, mouser.

f0dder, I was planning on the AMD Athlon 3600+

Oh, and forget about the budget being $500.00...I have (just don't tell my wife)

I don't really need a keyboard or mouse but must have a new monitor.  The one I'm using is a 17" Gateway EV700 that's defective.  It's darkened so bad that I had to download a program called Monitor Calibration Wizard to brighten it back up.  I'm thinking about a 17" LCD, depending on the price.  I don't have any space limitations, so a CRT monitor would be OK, too.

f0dder:
The thing with AGP is that it *is* being phased out, and greedy corporate bastards have realized this, so "new" AGP cards are often more expensive than their PCI-e counterparts - at least here. And pci-e has been around for long enough now that it shouldn't be an extra expense to get a board with it.

17" TFT is great, I've got two of them. Do mind the refresh rate if you're going to watch movies or play games... well, shouldn't be a much of a problem with today's TFTs, unless you're picky. But not higher than 25ms or you might get bad ghosting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version