ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Why do unzip apps have to be so complicated?

<< < (3/9) > >>

wr975:
Don't forget you can add it to the context menu, just like winrar does, on folder options -> file types.
-jgpaiva (September 28, 2006, 04:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

That easy? I've never tried it. .... And you're right. Thanks. :)

Now with right-click working I really started to like this idea/script. I didn't think I'd ever use it (just a script experiment), but now I don't want to miss it anymore.

I updated the script a bit (better handling for folders/subfolders with one file) + commented it.

jsmallberry:
wr975:  I've tried your solution, it works great!  The only problem is, I don't use WinRAR anymore, because it is not free.  I don't understand why WinRAR is so popular when there are so many freeware apps.  Anyway, I use IZArc.  I tried your app on an older computer that I haven't changed to IZArc yet, but still had WinRAR and I'm very pleased.  I tried to point the ini to IZArc (with the proper command line switches), but it didn't work.  I'll work on it a little more, but if we can't get it to work on other archivers, then I may have to switch back to WinRAR, I like the script so much.

PS.  When I mention zip files, I do mean any archive files (sorry).  Old habits die hard.

lanux128: Thanks for the tip for ExtractNow, every once in a while I need to extract a SIT file, I didn't think there was a free app for Windows.  I've always had to use my wife's Mac.

kimmchii: Thanks for your input, but that's my point of the post.  I could handle extracting the files/folders, but it took more than one input from me.  My motto is, computers should work for us, not we work for computers.

Thank everyone for his/her input and interest, especially wr975 for the solution.

lanux128:
wr975, cool script. 8) but a gui would be nice. nothing spectacular, just a drag-drop area with the settings visible below it. just in case, someone decides not delete the zip file after extracting.

jsmallberry, glad to be of help. :Thmbsup:

f0dder:
jsmallberry: WinRAR is popular because it's been around for a while, it has a good compression/speed ratio, it isn't very expensive (not everybody's a freeloader :P), and it has very good commandline support ans OS features (saves NTFS alternate streams and security info) - plus unrar is free & has source code available.

You should be able to use the free unrar for your purposes.

lanux128:
yeah, i agree with f0dder.. even in dc's in-house review, WinRar came out tops.

Best Archive Tool review

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version