topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: Why do unzip apps have to be so complicated?  (Read 36850 times)

jsmallberry

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • AuriTerminal
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Why do unzip apps have to be so complicated?
« on: September 27, 2006, 12:01 PM »
From the member who brought you the most viewed idea, the idea behind Skrommel's Ghoster, comes this request.

Current problem:
1) You download a zip file, let's say, to your desktop.
2) Double-click the zip file to load the default zip application and press a few other buttons to extract.
          - or -
     Right mouse button drag-drop to get the context menu to extract.
3)  Extract the files to the desktop, and depending how the zip file was originally created and how you unzip it, you get:
  i) all the files extracted on the desktop level folder, what a mess.
  ii) a folder created with the zip file name, and in that, a second folder that was zipped, then the files with in that.  Two levels of folders to go through to get to the files.
  iii) a folder with a single installation exe file.  Do you really need a folder for one file?
4) Then, after you straightened out the folders mess, you delete the original zip file.  I can't stand to see on other people's computer, the zip file and the unzipped folder on the desktop, do you really need the two copies?

Solution:
I would like to see an application do all the work for me.  Double click a zip file, the application determines:
1) If there is a single file, extract it on the same level folder as the zip file
2) If there is single folder in the zip file with multiple files in that folder, extract it and put that folder on the same level as the zip file
3) If there is multiple files in the zip file without being zipped with a containing folder, create a folder with the zip filename and extract the files to it.
Then, it deletes the zip file.  The only user input is the initial double click.

I know I'm not the only one that runs into this inconvenience.  And there are a million archive extractors out there, but none I've seen can do this.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Why do unzip apps have to be so complicated?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 01:29 PM »
Archive.png

I have an application that does just this, but it is only for the ROX Desktop. However, since it it delegates all the work it might be interesting nontheless HOW it calls the various unarchiving programs. It might be totally useless as well.

ROX-Filer.png

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 02:19 PM »
Edit: Years later and I still in use... at least on my system. If you're interested in my "Smart Unpack" script, head to the latest version, with instructions how to get in in the context menu: https://www.donation....msg113894#msg113894

Solution:
I would like to see an application do all the work for me.  Double click a zip file, the application determines:
1) If there is a single file, extract it on the same level folder as the zip file
2) If there is single folder in the zip file with multiple files in that folder, extract it and put that folder on the same level as the zip file
3) If there is multiple files in the zip file without being zipped with a containing folder, create a folder with the zip filename and extract the files to it.
Then, it deletes the zip file.  The only user input is the initial double click.

Unless someone comes up with a better solution, you could try this simple AHK script (see attachment for compiled exe).

It'll use - of course - an external unpacker, so it's not limited to ZIP files only. Please configure the ini file.

Erasing the archive files can be configured. See the ini file. If the unpacker reports an error, it'll never erase the zip files. No matter what you configured. Right now, it won't erase multi-part archives.

I don't know how to integrate it in the right-click menu. So drag&drop archive files on it, or put it in your send-to menu. Making it the default for archives is not recommended.

Edit: small update
Edit: new version posted below

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 01:58 PM by wr975 »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 08:16 PM »
have you given ExtractNow a try? it has some cool features such as:

• Supports ZIP, RAR, ISO, BIN, IMG, IMA, IMZ, 7Z, ACE, JAR, GZ, LZH, LHA, SIT archive formats
• Drag and drop files or folders from Windows Explorer to extract them
• Recursively search through folders for archives (Just drag and drop them)
• Delete files or close program after extraction options
• Extract files into current directory, named folder, or favorite folder of choice
• System tray icon on Minimize and Always on top features

i use it mainly for the SIT file support, which is lacking in Winrar.

Main
extnow1.jpg

Settings
extnow2.jpg

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 09:08 PM »
dont maximize the unzip app, then drag the single file or folder and drop it on window explorer, it will be on the same level as the zip file.

Then, it deletes the zip file.  The only user input is the initial double click.
for multiple files or folders, select all of them, then right click and extract to specific folder (if you use winrar), the zip filename will be selected automatically.

it's not a good idea to delete a file automatically, imagine ft the extraction screws up and the program proceed to delete the 2GB file. :down:
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 09:14 PM »
well, the program/tool could delete only those archives which were unzipped successfully.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 09:15 PM »
This definitely does annoy me a bit, and I don't think ExtractNow quite handles it. It is however the only free app I know of that supports .sit besides Stuffit's own garbage. :D

- Oshyan

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 03:52 AM »
I'd love this app too, if nobody makes it, maybe i'll give it a go. (although i'm quite busy atm :( )

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 04:48 AM »
...if nobody makes it, maybe i'll give it a go.
Tell me what's wrong with my AHK script, and perhaps I can change it (or you can, or whoever.)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 04:55 AM »
...if nobody makes it, maybe i'll give it a go.
Tell me what's wrong with my AHK script, and perhaps I can change it (or you can, or whoever.)
**sorry**!
I didn't see your post. This definitelly looks good, i will give it a go later.
Don't forget you can add it to the context menu, just like winrar does, on folder options -> file types.
This is definitelly a great idea!  :Thmbsup:

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 05:36 PM »
Don't forget you can add it to the context menu, just like winrar does, on folder options -> file types.

That easy? I've never tried it. .... And you're right. Thanks. :)

Now with right-click working I really started to like this idea/script. I didn't think I'd ever use it (just a script experiment), but now I don't want to miss it anymore.

I updated the script a bit (better handling for folders/subfolders with one file) + commented it.

jsmallberry

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • AuriTerminal
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 07:54 PM »
wr975:  I've tried your solution, it works great!  The only problem is, I don't use WinRAR anymore, because it is not free.  I don't understand why WinRAR is so popular when there are so many freeware apps.  Anyway, I use IZArc.  I tried your app on an older computer that I haven't changed to IZArc yet, but still had WinRAR and I'm very pleased.  I tried to point the ini to IZArc (with the proper command line switches), but it didn't work.  I'll work on it a little more, but if we can't get it to work on other archivers, then I may have to switch back to WinRAR, I like the script so much.

PS.  When I mention zip files, I do mean any archive files (sorry).  Old habits die hard.

lanux128: Thanks for the tip for ExtractNow, every once in a while I need to extract a SIT file, I didn't think there was a free app for Windows.  I've always had to use my wife's Mac.

kimmchii: Thanks for your input, but that's my point of the post.  I could handle extracting the files/folders, but it took more than one input from me.  My motto is, computers should work for us, not we work for computers.

Thank everyone for his/her input and interest, especially wr975 for the solution.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 08:42 PM »
wr975, cool script. 8) but a gui would be nice. nothing spectacular, just a drag-drop area with the settings visible below it. just in case, someone decides not delete the zip file after extracting.

jsmallberry, glad to be of help. :Thmbsup:

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 01:51 AM »
jsmallberry: WinRAR is popular because it's been around for a while, it has a good compression/speed ratio, it isn't very expensive (not everybody's a freeloader :P), and it has very good commandline support ans OS features (saves NTFS alternate streams and security info) - plus unrar is free & has source code available.

You should be able to use the free unrar for your purposes.
- carpe noctem

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 01:57 AM »
yeah, i agree with f0dder.. even in dc's in-house review, WinRar came out tops.

Best Archive Tool review
winrar-best.png

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 10:30 AM »
I updated the script a bit (better handling for folders/subfolders with one file) + commented it.
Good work! It looks perfect, I'll now look at the code and then add it to my context menu too ;)

I think that lanux128 raized a good point, maybe it could have a gui (that would only appear if some command line flag was activated) to be able to decompress the file to a place different from its current dir.

Other than that, i love it!   :Thmbsup:

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 02:54 PM »
New version.

If the program is started without parameter, a simple drag&drop GUI appears. The GUI allows to configure the "erase archive" option.

I also figured out the command line for 7zip (Freeware) + adjusted the script to accept it. See the configuration file for an example. Please note: Use the full version of 7zip (installer), not the command line.

I've tested it a lot + fixed some bugs. AHK's function to move folders seems a bit buggy (if the folder exists it won't overwrite, but moves in the existing folder). It's not serious and probably happens in test situations only.

Again, short instructions:

a.) download the attachment and extract it. (source included)
b.) open the .ini file in Notepad and configure path and decompressing parameters of your archiving utility.
c.) integrate the .exe file in your right-click menu (important: "%1") or in the toolbar of a file manager (like xplorer²) or drag archive files on it or just start it.

EDIT: Removed attachment. See post below.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 06:44 AM by wr975 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 03:02 PM »
can i just make sure you guys when you say "erase archive" you are making sure the archive gets deleted to the recycle bin until you are REALLY sure everything is working as planned - i'd hate to see someone end up wiping their drive by using this incorrectly.. please make sure you are doing any checks possible to avoid mistakenly deleteing huge amounts because of user error.

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 03:13 PM »
Good work! It looks perfect, I'll now look at the code and then add it to my context menu too ;)

I think that lanux128 raized a good point, maybe it could have a gui (that would only appear if some command line flag was activated) to be able to decompress the file to a place different from its current dir.

Other than that, i love it!   :Thmbsup:

Thanks for the nice feedback. I just trial and error my way into a working script. :)

About your suggestion. The original idea was hands-free extracting. Just drag & drop or right-click and it's done. Selecting a different target folder doesn't feel right somehow. It'd be faster to double-click the archive, select 'extract all' and select the target folder... Anyway, just IMO.

Feel free to change the script + add this feature (that is, if you can read into my strange source). :D

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 03:32 PM »
can i just make sure you guys when you say "erase archive" you are making sure the archive gets deleted to the recycle bin until you are REALLY sure everything is working as planned - i'd hate to see someone end up wiping their drive by using this incorrectly.. please make sure you are doing any checks possible to avoid mistakenly deleteing huge amounts because of user error.

Older versions deleted the files. My bad. The current version puts them in the RecycleBin.

Three conditions must be valid to make the script recycle a file. Someone would need to rewrite the script so it'd wipe a drive...

jsmallberry

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • AuriTerminal
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 03:50 PM »
I have tried the new version with 7zip support and I love it.  I installed 7Zip and disabled the "integrate in shell context menu" option, so it would not interfere with my IZArc menu.  I've associated my zip archive files with Smart Unpack now, so all I have to do is double click an archive file.  I've now added this app to my 'must install' apps when I setup a new computer.

If you are to download 7Zip from the SourceForge site, use 7zG.exe, not 7z.exe.  The 7zG.exe is the graphical version and 7z.exe opens a DOS box.  I guess that's what wr975 meant with "Use the full version of 7zip (installer), not the command line".

One curious thing though, when I unpack a single file, it does not show up until I hit 'Refresh'.  But I don't think that has anything to do with the script, I think it is 7Zip.  I can live with it.

Selecting a different target folder doesn't feel right somehow.

I completely agree.  That's what your full blown archive app (WinRAR, IZArc, 7Zip, etc.) is for.

BTW, Smart Unpack DOES delete the file to the Recycle Bin.  I hardly ever use the Recycle Bin.  When deleting a file, I always click "Shift-Del".  Again, no complaints with Smart Unpack though.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2006, 05:13 AM »
I've just seen this new version. I love the way it doesn't overwrite the folders anymore! :D
There's only one small glitch: could you make it not overwrite files if the archive only contains one file?

I also love the new gui to drop files, good idea!  :Thmbsup:

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2006, 06:43 AM »
Hey, thanks!  :D  :Thmbsup:

I wasn't very happy with overwriting files, but ... ehm... too lazy. :-[ Anyway, here's a new version which won't overwrite anymore, ever. Please let me know if it works.

EDIT: 53 downloads... neat.  :Thmbsup: New version posted, see Reply#35
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 02:18 PM by wr975 »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2006, 09:25 AM »
Hey, thanks!  :D  :Thmbsup:

I wasn't very happy with overwriting files, but ... ehm... too lazy. :-[ Anyway, here's a new version which won't overwrite anymore, ever. Please let me know if it works.
Now THAT is cool!  :Thmbsup:
Amazing work, looks perfect to me :D

(btw.. i love the comments on the source file :P)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2006, 09:56 PM »
i like this script already. it could prove indispensible when dealing with non-techies.. good job, wr975. :Thmbsup:
btw, a screenshot of the script.

Drag&drop GUI
smart-unpack-scrnshot-1.png