ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Why do unzip apps have to be so complicated?

(1/9) > >>

jsmallberry:
From the member who brought you the most viewed idea, the idea behind Skrommel's Ghoster, comes this request.

Current problem:
1) You download a zip file, let's say, to your desktop.
2) Double-click the zip file to load the default zip application and press a few other buttons to extract.
          - or -
     Right mouse button drag-drop to get the context menu to extract.
3)  Extract the files to the desktop, and depending how the zip file was originally created and how you unzip it, you get:
  i) all the files extracted on the desktop level folder, what a mess.
  ii) a folder created with the zip file name, and in that, a second folder that was zipped, then the files with in that.  Two levels of folders to go through to get to the files.
  iii) a folder with a single installation exe file.  Do you really need a folder for one file?
4) Then, after you straightened out the folders mess, you delete the original zip file.  I can't stand to see on other people's computer, the zip file and the unzipped folder on the desktop, do you really need the two copies?

Solution:
I would like to see an application do all the work for me.  Double click a zip file, the application determines:
1) If there is a single file, extract it on the same level folder as the zip file
2) If there is single folder in the zip file with multiple files in that folder, extract it and put that folder on the same level as the zip file
3) If there is multiple files in the zip file without being zipped with a containing folder, create a folder with the zip filename and extract the files to it.
Then, it deletes the zip file.  The only user input is the initial double click.

I know I'm not the only one that runs into this inconvenience.  And there are a million archive extractors out there, but none I've seen can do this.

housetier:

I have an application that does just this, but it is only for the ROX Desktop. However, since it it delegates all the work it might be interesting nontheless HOW it calls the various unarchiving programs. It might be totally useless as well.

wr975:
Edit: Years later and I still in use... at least on my system. If you're interested in my "Smart Unpack" script, head to the latest version, with instructions how to get in in the context menu: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=5491.msg113894#msg113894

Solution:
I would like to see an application do all the work for me.  Double click a zip file, the application determines:
1) If there is a single file, extract it on the same level folder as the zip file
2) If there is single folder in the zip file with multiple files in that folder, extract it and put that folder on the same level as the zip file
3) If there is multiple files in the zip file without being zipped with a containing folder, create a folder with the zip filename and extract the files to it.
Then, it deletes the zip file.  The only user input is the initial double click.
--- End quote ---

Unless someone comes up with a better solution, you could try this simple AHK script (see attachment for compiled exe).

It'll use - of course - an external unpacker, so it's not limited to ZIP files only. Please configure the ini file.

Erasing the archive files can be configured. See the ini file. If the unpacker reports an error, it'll never erase the zip files. No matter what you configured. Right now, it won't erase multi-part archives.

I don't know how to integrate it in the right-click menu. So drag&drop archive files on it, or put it in your send-to menu. Making it the default for archives is not recommended.

Edit: small update
Edit: new version posted below

lanux128:
have you given ExtractNow a try? it has some cool features such as:

• Supports ZIP, RAR, ISO, BIN, IMG, IMA, IMZ, 7Z, ACE, JAR, GZ, LZH, LHA, SIT archive formats
• Drag and drop files or folders from Windows Explorer to extract them
• Recursively search through folders for archives (Just drag and drop them)
• Delete files or close program after extraction options
• Extract files into current directory, named folder, or favorite folder of choice
• System tray icon on Minimize and Always on top features

i use it mainly for the SIT file support, which is lacking in Winrar.

Main

Settings

kimmchii:
-jsmallberry (September 27, 2006, 12:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
dont maximize the unzip app, then drag the single file or folder and drop it on window explorer, it will be on the same level as the zip file.

Then, it deletes the zip file.  The only user input is the initial double click.
-jsmallberry (September 27, 2006, 12:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
for multiple files or folders, select all of them, then right click and extract to specific folder (if you use winrar), the zip filename will be selected automatically.

it's not a good idea to delete a file automatically, imagine ft the extraction screws up and the program proceed to delete the 2GB file. :down:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version