topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: Why do unzip apps have to be so complicated?  (Read 36835 times)

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Why do unzip apps have to be so complicated?
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 04:40 AM »
Wow!  Sorry, I'm late.  Wish I saw this thread when it first came out. :-*

Thanx wr975.

In the script, is it possible to incorporate a Refresh of the Explorer window after extracting single file archives to counter the file invisibility problem?

Did everybody associate the script with each filetype, 1 by 1, or is there an easier way to do this? >:(

Sometimes the name of the archive file is more appropriate than the name of the folder/file that has been extracted (hereto referred to as the extractees). :D  Would it be possible to add the name of the archive (minus the extension) to the clipboard so that it can be appended to an extractee if desired?

Hope I'm not asking for too much. :-[

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2007, 05:41 PM »
When I select 2 zip files & right click then select Open I get this error:

Data Execution Prevention
To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program:  Windows Explorer

Is there any way to avoid this?

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2007, 06:04 PM »
Yes, add it to the exceptions list. There should be an option when this pops up.

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2007, 06:58 PM »
There was no option (using XP?) but based on your suggestion I did some research & found the tab under System Properties.  Thanx.  I've disabled DEP for Windows Explorer.  I would have thought DEP would be smarter than this.  I doubt there is much difference between opening 1 or 2 files.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2007, 07:07 PM »
You can disable DEP on a per application basis. I suggest leaving it enabled.

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2007, 10:34 PM »
Well, even when I disabled Windows Explorer in the DEP settings, DEP is still intercepting Windows Explorer when running Smart Unpack with 2 files.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2007, 03:43 PM »
Better stay away from Smart Unpack then, sounds like it's buggy... unless it's in fact another explorer extension bugging out.
- carpe noctem

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2007, 03:56 PM »
I had all sorts of DEP problems in XP, this is not something just related to this application.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2007, 04:02 PM »
Weird, I've never had a DEP problem... and I do have it enabled, and I do have NX-bit hardware. And... oops. Just realized I only had NX turned on for essential services >_<

Anyway, if a program crashes with NX enabled, it's doing stuff that it shouldn't really be doing. I'll try enabling for all programs now, and see how things go :) (I expect some compressors and game protections to fail).
- carpe noctem

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 06:20 AM »
Hope I'm not asking for too much.

Not really... Your questions motivated me look at the source again and I made a new version. See my answer below.

SmartUnpack is just a tiny helper tool and not meant to replace a full-featured archiving utility. So associating it with "open" isn't a smart thing to do. It's best as secondary action. So, if I double-click a RAR file, Winrar opens. But if I right-click I get the option to process it with SmartUnpack. I've associated SmartUnpack with "zip" and "rar".

Screenshot - 2007.08.06 , 13_05_39.jpgIDEA: Why do unzip apps have to be so complicated?
Screenshot - 2007.08.06 , 13_05_51.jpgIDEA: Why do unzip apps have to be so complicated?
Screenshot - 2007.08.06 , 13_06_30.jpgIDEA: Why do unzip apps have to be so complicated?

Selecting several files and "opening" them via the context menu is not supported. If you want to process more than one file, start SmartUnpack and drag the files in the GUI. At least, that's the idea.

But I just tested it, and I don't know who to blame... Autohotkey or Windows, but my "one instance only" setting gets totally ignored. I tried reproducing your error with unpacking 16 files, but I just got 16 Winrar instances (15 waiting, one unpacking, and so on) but no error. I've no idea how to fix that, so just don't unpack more than one file via context menu.

Anyway, hope you still enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 02:20 PM by wr975 »

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 02:17 PM »
Since I had to touch the script again, here's a new version of "Smart Unpack" with some changes.

Changes:
- Refresh issue solved (I had an idea and it worked out... finally. I hated this.)
- Copying the filename to the clipboard can now be activated with a setting in the ini file.
- If configured to recycle files, it'll now properly recycle split archive files in all variations (rar).

Still not working:
Prevent multiple instances. Please don't select several files and unpack them via the context menu. If you want to unpack several files at once, use the GUI.

Upgrade instructions:
Rename the existing SmartUnpack.ini and start the tool. A new ini with new configuration parameters will be created.

How refresh works and needs to be configured:
Spoiler
To get rid of the refresh issue, I've come up with this solution: The script checks the current window and sends a F5 if you're on the desktop or using Windows file explorer.

If the current window is not the desktop or Windows file explorer, it can be assumed you're using a third party file explorer. The script will look in the ini file if you configured the "refresh" setting and send the keystroke you configured.

Example: I'm using xplorer². I'd have to enter the combination CONTROL+R (^r) in the ini file, so the script would know how to refresh the view in xplorer².

It's tested under Windows XP. Please tell me if it's not working under any other MS OS.

New version posted below... 55 downloads here. Amazing!  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 09:45 AM by wr975 »

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 05:10 PM »
Associating Smart Unpack with the doubleclicking is the best thing for me at the moment.  I got the idea from the new setting available in ALZip.

To get the DEP problem I rightclicked & selected Open since I haven't added Smart Unpack to my context menu.

The refresh & "copy name to clipboard" work fine & I needed that functionality for the first archive I used it in.  Thanx so much!

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 10:14 PM »
Ahhh...  My favorite script in the world. :)

If anyone's interested I haven't had the DEP problem since a clean reinstall of XP.  I guess the problem was caused by some other 3rd party addon.
Some bugs:
1.  When I used the GUI for multiple extraction WinRar asked me the password for a Rar file.  I cancelled via the WinRar prompt but Smart Unpack still deleted the archive.  Had I only been extracting 1 file I would have got an information message from Smart Unpack & the archive would remain safe & sound.

2.  I used Smart Unpack on an archive which had these characters in the filename: 专辑  It seems any of those foreign characters cause Smart Unpack to delete the archive & the temporary file leaving you with nothing!

If configured to recycle files, it'll now properly recycle split archive files in all variations (rar).

I love this.  After extraction files can be in a different order & sometimes filenames are too long to be able to see an extension.  As time has gone by I've realized how reassuring it is to have 50 split archives automatically deleted when an extraction is complete.  No chance of deleting the wrong file or not deleting one of the correct ones.

Still not working:
Prevent multiple instances. Please don't select several files and unpack them via the context menu. If you want to unpack several files at once, use the GUI.

I know this feature is not supported but I wish it was.  Maybe you have been waiting for an excuse to get back to playing with this!

When I unpack multiple archives at the same time they seem to unpack OK because the temporary folders in the root of the drive remain.  Wouldn't it be possible for Smart Unpack to check if it is already running & queue extractions like the GUI version if neccesary? 

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2008, 09:41 AM »
Hi,

thanks for your feedback.  :Thmbsup:

I was unable to redo your multiple extraction cancelled bug. Everytime I tried doing so, the script caught "errorlevel 1" sent by Winrar.exe and didn't erase the archive. I tried entering wrong passwords, hitting cancel, closing the password dialog...

The same with special characters. I created various archives with names like "mäöü$%&!" and using the GUI I had no problem extracting them all. A filename containing "??" is not supported. How did you create such file?  :tellme:

Perhaps you can pm me the archive files you used and/or detailed instructions, so I can do the same you did and see if I get the same error.

About multiple instances...
I've had a look at it - again - and this thread (http://www.autohotke...orum/topic12371.html) discusses the problem and gave me some ideas.

The good: I got it working. The script will now try to prevent multiple instances. The bad: Creating a job queue to process various archives is also possible, but it won't make it into the script. It's too much work. This would be a major rewrite as the script is not intended for mass unpacking. Just use the GUI for mass unpacking.  ;)

Edit:
FWIW... just an update. This tool works just fine under Win7x64 and I absolutely love using it.... still. I could sure improve the code and get rid of the "Goto" commands *g* but it's working. No need to change anything. Getting it in the context menu is a bit tricky, especially under Win7, so I'm glad there's a great freeware program out there: http://defaultprogramseditor.com
Attached to this post is a short screenvideo showing how to add it to the context menu. This is, where it's really useful.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 04:33 PM by wr975 »

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2008, 09:34 AM »
Hey wr975.  I think I've uncovered a bit more of the problems now.

When I extracted 2 password archives I got the Smart Unpack error message for each.
When I extracted in the order of 1 regular archive then 1 password archive then 1 regular archive the password archive was deleted & an empty folder created.

The foreign character bug doesn't occur unless Smart Unpack creates a folder with the relevant characters.

The archives I have are hundreds of MBs each.  Maybe they were created on a native Asian version of Windows?  I can't create archives with foreign characters either but you can rename with foreign characters after their creation so try copying the exact characters from my previous post.

Thanx for continuing the development of this.  I don't think anyone who uses it could revert to not using it.

1 other thing:  I find the GUI gets in the way when it is busy because you can't move it.  Is it possible to change this?  It would be preferrable to be able to minimise it to the system tray.

I had a quick test of the multiple instance prevention & noticed no difference in behavior.  I'll keep an eye on it & let you know how I go.

PS  The new icon for the exe is a nice touch.

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2008, 09:47 AM »
Hi, I've sent you a PM.