ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

New App - Floating Ruler - Feedback?

(1/7) > >>

Renegade:
So I'm finally fed up with messing around with dumb ways to do things, so I wrote a stupid little application today to give me a simple on-screen ruler to measure alignments in other programs. (e.g. Visual Studio, Photoshop, appTranslator [the real motivation], etc.)

It's a .NET v1.1 app, so you'd need that installed. (Decided not to go with v2.0 but I'll do that later.)

Anyways, I'm looking for feedback. Please be brutal. But keep in mind what it is supposed to be used for...

I know it sucks a bit right now, but it does what I need it to do for now. i.e. Let me visually align things on-screen.

It's kind of like guidelines in Photoshop, but for any program.

Here's the download:

Floating Ruler

Just as a silly aside, the app is 72kb, but the zip is 212kb and 428kb unzipped. i.e. Bloated installer. But it works...

Cheers,

Ryan

mouser:
can we get a screenshot? (just attach it to post)

app103:
If I can get used to using this one it might be better than the pixel rulers I currently use. It's much more precise.

I like how you can set the thickness of the rulers...and the color.

It would be nice if there was a way to drag the control window instead of having to set the position with the controls. Or maybe make the control window not attached to the rulers and able to be dragged.

And I noticed it doesn't play well with Snagit. It disappears when I try to do a screenshot with the floating ruler in it.

It would also be nice if there was an additional setting so you could set a point to be considered 0-0 rather than it using the screen's 0-0 x-y coordinates. Measuring position in a browser window for setting CSS positions would be much easier if the 0-0 was relative to the space within a browser window rather than the screen.

Renegade:
You should be able to just click on the form and drag it instead of using the number controls. I have no idea if it would work on Windows 98 though...

I'll see what I can do to add in a secondary measurement for browsers. That would be useful.

Thanks for the feedback!

app103:
I tested it on XP and I can't drag the window at all.

I have not tested it on my WinME machine yet. (royal pain in the butt to download things with that one's 33.6k dialup)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version