topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: CCleaner 5.0 Beta?  (Read 3382 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CCleaner 5.0 Beta?
« on: November 20, 2014, 10:30 AM »
CCleaner 5.0 Beta or why is white on gray better than colored buttons/images/icons?

When I read the copy about the new interface, then looked at the screen shot, my reaction was "what new interface?"  Then I noticed white on gray symbols instead of colored icons for the buttons.  Why is that "better?"  Perhaps it's only because we have had color for so long?  Oh oh!!  Light bulb on.  So it will fit the phone paradigm.  Ugh.

Edit:  I use CCleaner every day so I'm not out to bash them.  It's just with the number 5.0 I expected a big change, not nearly no change at all.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: CCleaner 5.0 Beta?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 10:39 AM »
For advanced users we have a beta version of CCleaner v5 available for you to download. (We don't recommend using this outside of test environments. This build includes just the interface change. The other features will be coming over the next week, with a final release build at the end of the month.

http://www.neowin.ne...ailable-for-download

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:46 AM »
"Test environment"  ;D

Let me destroy the registry of my XP in a VM or spare PC?

EDIT: Before laughing at me, what I mean is, testing things like this is not the same as testing the beta of Photoshop for example .... in my opinion

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 09:44 AM »
"Test environment"  ;D

Let me destroy the registry of my XP in a VM or spare PC?

EDIT: Before laughing at me, what I mean is, testing things like this is not the same as testing the beta of Photoshop for example .... in my opinion

That's a good point.  The one time I had a problem with CCleaner it was the Registry Cleaner.  It worked so well all along I got complacent and didn't write the backup .reg file.  A restore point got me out and I just reverted to an older version of CCleaner until the issue was fixed in the next release.

But it doesn't pay to assume it will just work flawlessly.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 08:04 PM »
I've been using CCleaner v.3.03.1366 for at least a couple of years now, b/c the next version had something I didn't like, but don't remember what now.
I always run the backup-saves of fixes, but have never had a problem.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 11:56 PM »
CCleaner v5.0 is now ready for download! You have been testing the Beta release of version 5 in your thousands since we announced it last week and we have loved hearing all your positive feedback on the fresh new design!
CCleaner 5.0 sees not only a brand new interface, but also significant performance improvements. We've optimized the internal architecture for better performance, added Google Chrome plugin management and optimized the automatic update process for our Professional users.
We're also close to finalizing a new Disk Analyzer tool, which will allow you to identify and drill down into the types of files taking up the most space on your drives. Watch this space for more information!

http://www.piriform....4/11/25/ccleaner-v50