ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What IRC client do you use?

<< < (2/4) > >>

app103:
I also use xchat, but I use one of the free windows versions. (not linux)

I have also been known to use the old MS Chat just for fun.

This was the ancient IRC client from Microsoft that was eventually replaced by MSN Messenger. It's unique in the fact that it presents conversations in comic form and each person can have their own character file, complete with expressions and body poses.

The characters in my client are not the default standard black & white ones. They have been replaced with full color ones. This is not a client for regular use, as it puts additional codes in the channel along with your text that can be annoying to users with normal IRC clients.

mitzevo:
I remeber having some laughs with irc and ms chat ... ;D  8)

As for IRC client, I used to use mIRC when I first learnt about IRC, now I have been through various clients for various OS's.. althought I never really relied on any big scripts that alot of people use.

At present I am using the free build of xchat 2, just take a look at the good features

The only thing I find a bit annoying is the window redrawing.. some times I doesn't redraw the window so you have to manually resize/etc. to clear the funky visuals.

I also like to use the black theme, found here

All in all, X-Chat 2 for Windows (free silverex build) is a decent client for windows  :Thmbsup:

edit: well now i've switched back to mIRC, LOL.. i think f0dder had some influence over this..  :Thmbsup: but i think really when you think about it, mIRC is quite solid.. dispute all the haters of it.. and xchat is abit annoying in regards to window redrawing.. (or the whole gtk issue.. w/e)  so I have removed xchat now, also the gtk files.. now i feel like ive cleaned up shop :D hahaha.

Deozaan:
I use the Java-based PJIRC at home and xchat at work. But I can only connect to an internal IRC server on the intranet at work, so it's for employees only.

But I don't use IRC much. Just for the DonationCoder channel and for quick chats with co-workers across the nation.

f0dder:
I find XChat to have extremely lagging redraw on resize, which is enough that I just can't stand using it.

No matter which client I've tried, I always end up back with mIRC, even though it's somewhat of a pig. But it works, and it's comfortable :)

allen:
I use mIRC and/or Opera's built in client, depending.  Opera moreso, since it's always open anyway.

-- Which reminds me of an episide of the John Walsh show I watched a few years back (I watched it out of sheer hate for the man).  He'd just discovered IRC and described it as "The Dark Underbelly of the Internet" -- essentially referring to anyone on it as either (a) evil or (b) naive.  Those of us on IRC who aren't mutton heads must be cyber terrorists.  Just wanted you guys to know.  Terrorists.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version