topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What IRC client do you use?  (Read 12510 times)

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What IRC client do you use?
« on: September 27, 2006, 02:03 AM »
That's IF you use one. I'm just curious. I use mIRC and while that works well, I never stopped looking for something simpler, cleaner and easier. Don't get me wrong.. I don't think mIRC is hard to use, really, but I happen to love fast, efficient, well-designed and ESPECIALLY well thought-out software, and I don't know if I can say that about mIRC. It's very feature-rich and it more than gets the job done, but I guess I wouldn't mind trying out something innovative, nice-looking and efficient as opposed to mIRC, which is among the grand-daddies among IRC clients. (That in and of itself is not a bad thing, of course)

Anyway.. this isn't a thread about me finding an alternative IRC client.. it's a thread about what you use and about discussing clients in general as the thread goes along :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: What IRC client do you use?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 06:29 AM »
mirc for me, i am just used to it and like it's clean interface.
but it is a bit long in the tooth..

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 07:22 AM »
I use mirc with the acidmax script (www.tnexgen.com). Great combo plus auto-update

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 07:28 AM »
I use irssi

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 07:03 PM »
I use and recommend xchat, a multiplatform irc client. There are several versions available for windows and only the official build by zed himself requires registration after 30 days. The other versions are free but might lack certain features.

xchat.png

Xchat is sriptable through various programming langues. mircscript is not supported; but perl, python, tcl, javascript, lisp, ruby, c (and one more) are. Most scripts require a language plugin, with most scripts being written for perl, then python. There are tcl scripts as well, and, no, you cannot use eggdrop scripts with in xchat.

1159401173.pngWhat IRC client do you use?

The looks can be changed by gtk themes and internal configuration of colors and events, and it gets complicated quickly. The screenshot above shows what my xchat looks like. I have attached the corresponding config files (you will need to change them!)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 12:38 AM »
I also use xchat, but I use one of the free windows versions. (not linux)

xchat.pngWhat IRC client do you use?

I have also been known to use the old MS Chat just for fun.

This was the ancient IRC client from Microsoft that was eventually replaced by MSN Messenger. It's unique in the fact that it presents conversations in comic form and each person can have their own character file, complete with expressions and body poses.

The characters in my client are not the default standard black & white ones. They have been replaced with full color ones. This is not a client for regular use, as it puts additional codes in the channel along with your text that can be annoying to users with normal IRC clients.

dc-comics.jpgWhat IRC client do you use?

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 12:59 AM »
I remeber having some laughs with irc and ms chat ... ;D  8)

As for IRC client, I used to use mIRC when I first learnt about IRC, now I have been through various clients for various OS's.. althought I never really relied on any big scripts that alot of people use.

At present I am using the free build of xchat 2, just take a look at the good features

The only thing I find a bit annoying is the window redrawing.. some times I doesn't redraw the window so you have to manually resize/etc. to clear the funky visuals.

I also like to use the black theme, found here

All in all, X-Chat 2 for Windows (free silverex build) is a decent client for windows  :Thmbsup:

edit: well now i've switched back to mIRC, LOL.. i think f0dder had some influence over this..  :Thmbsup: but i think really when you think about it, mIRC is quite solid.. dispute all the haters of it.. and xchat is abit annoying in regards to window redrawing.. (or the whole gtk issue.. w/e)  so I have removed xchat now, also the gtk files.. now i feel like ive cleaned up shop :D hahaha.
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 08:47 AM by mitzevo »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 01:00 AM »
I use the Java-based PJIRC at home and xchat at work. But I can only connect to an internal IRC server on the intranet at work, so it's for employees only.

But I don't use IRC much. Just for the DonationCoder channel and for quick chats with co-workers across the nation.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 03:09 AM »
I find XChat to have extremely lagging redraw on resize, which is enough that I just can't stand using it.

No matter which client I've tried, I always end up back with mIRC, even though it's somewhat of a pig. But it works, and it's comfortable :)
- carpe noctem

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 05:25 AM »
I use mIRC and/or Opera's built in client, depending.  Opera moreso, since it's always open anyway.

-- Which reminds me of an episide of the John Walsh show I watched a few years back (I watched it out of sheer hate for the man).  He'd just discovered IRC and described it as "The Dark Underbelly of the Internet" -- essentially referring to anyone on it as either (a) evil or (b) naive.  Those of us on IRC who aren't mutton heads must be cyber terrorists.  Just wanted you guys to know.  Terrorists.  :)

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 08:58 AM »
mitzevo, and f0dder: there are some known "issues" with gtk on windows. I do not know of a solution unless you are willing to juggle with several versions of gtk until you find one that works.

One should take the source and make a native win32 port of xchat...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 09:11 AM by housetier »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 09:02 AM »
mitzevo[/url], and [iurl=#msg38224]f0dder[/url]: there are some known "issues" with gtk on windows. I do not know of a solution unless you are willing to juggle with several versions of gtk until you find one that works.
I'm not, I just want something that works :). Laggy window resize is very typical of anything on X11 (XF86 and XOrg anyway), but XChat is particularly bad, at least on windows.

One should take the source and make a native win32 port of xchat...
I wonder how easy that'd be...
- carpe noctem

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 09:14 AM »
I don't follow the jump from X11/Xorg to win32 and back.

Making a native port would be a nightmare, otherwise someone would already have done it.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 09:50 AM »
I don't follow the jump from X11/Xorg to win32 and back.
That probably was a bit confusing :)

I just meant that everytime I've tried X under linux, with or without accelerated drivers, etc, window resize has always been very laggy. One little game had 100% CPU usage when resizing (and not just "artificial usage", it really bogged the system down), other applications have "controls that lag into place".

XChat brings that lag to win32...
- carpe noctem

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 09:26 PM »
miranda is not a irc client, per se but its irc module is quite good and responsive. :up:

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 01:38 PM »
I use Miranda normally because I am not a heavy IRC user at all. However for stand-alone clients I'm surprised no one has mentioned HydraIRC. If you want a free, attractive, light(er), but still very functional multi-server IRC app, it's a great option.

- Oshyan

Gerome

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Get my Freestyle Basic Script Language + compiler!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 03:05 PM »
Hello,

I use Miranda, but be aware, sometimes it totally freezes and hang my computers ( windows 2k Sp4 )
Yours,
(¯`·._.·[Gerome GUILLEMIN]·._.·´¯)
http://www.fbsl.net [FBSL Author]
http://gedd123.free.fr/FBSLv3.zip [FBSL Help file]
(¯`·._.·[If you need help... just ask]·._.·´¯)