topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Problems capturing objects  (Read 5242 times)

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Problems capturing objects
« on: October 27, 2006, 01:02 PM »
When I try to capture an object in (say) Firefox using Snagit 7, I can capture an individual icon:

Screenshot - 27_10_2006 , 18_43_50.png

But in Screenshot Captor I can't get anywhere near as close:

Screenshot - 27_10_2006 , 00_02_55.png

What am I doing wrong? If I can't capture individual objects this might be a showstopper for me  :(

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 01:04 PM by katykaty »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Problems capturing objects
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 04:53 PM »
do you mean that snagit properly jumps to the objects like the buttons when you move over them, or do you mean you can manually move a small box and position it exactly where you want it?  is it clear what im asking?

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 05:10 PM »
do you mean that snagit properly jumps to the objects like the buttons when you move over them, or do you mean you can manually move a small box and position it exactly where you want it?  is it clear what im asking?

Mouser, thanks for posting  :)

I mean Snagit properly jumps to the objects.

So in this Quick Reply box for instance it can identify the bold, italic, ... bullet buttons as individual objects, or all of them together as a toolbar object; this text box, the Post and Preview buttons, this text box, the box to the left with the 'with a quick-reply ... ' text, just the 'with a quick reply ...' text itself, and so on.

It's really good at detecting objects within objects, so for example there's the toolbar on this page with Forum Home, My Profile, etc buttons. It can select the whole toolbar as a single object, or the 'My Profile' button as a single object, or even the text 'My Profile' on the button as a single object.

Impressive, eh ?     ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 05:18 PM »
that is impressive - im not entirely sure how they are able to detect such sub-object, i will try to investigate but to be honest i've got some other things ahead of this in the queue so don't expect a fix any time in the next month or two.

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 02:56 AM »
Great  :)

I wasn't moaning - just suggesting a way to make it better  :)

Incidentally - something else Snagit does pretty well is its use of capture profiles:

Screenshot - 27_10_2006 , 19_08_29.png

There are some predefined ones and you can easily set up your own - so you could have it capture an object, with the cursor, and save it as a specific filetype in a specific folder automatically, in monochrome at 50% scaling etc etc just be clicking the profile name, clicking capture, and clicking the object.

The quick buttons on the right to turn cursor capture on & off and quickly set the capture settings are great too.

You'll be thinking I like Snagit  :)  I do - it's great - if you're working on improving Screenshot Captor it's definitely the standard to aim at - steal from the best, as they say  ;)