ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Game Engines and Apps

<< < (7/8) > >>

kyrathaba:
Thanks Deozaan.  Yes, I forgot that Unity 3D is C#-compatible.  Looks impressive and highly capable.  Quite a learning curve for me personally, but then, I haven't done 3D programming before.  Probably wouldn't be too bad for someone with more experience.

Deozaan:
Yeah, there's definitely a lot to learn but Unity makes things fairly easy. A couple years ago I was attempting to make a game in Torque Game Engine (which is a now-deprecated 3D engine which has been "replaced" with the new Torque 3D) and I could not figure out how to do much of anything at all, even following a book or reading tutorials.

But with Unity I've been able to follow a few tutorials or read the documentation and work my way through making things happen. It's great and a lot easier than it could be. :Thmbsup:

An example is quaternionsw. I don't even understand what quaternions are or how they work. All I know is that they are 4-dimensional things that allow you to avoid something called gimbal lockw that occurs when rotating in 3-dimensions (and I can't wrap my brain around them). I'm not sure I understand exactly what gimbal lock is either :-[ but I know it causes objects to not rotate the way you would think you are telling them to. Unity comes with built-in functions that automatically convert the "easy to understand" 3D rotations into quaternions and back again.

I've been really impressed with Unity and how (relatively) easy it has been to do things with it. And if you're willing to spend some money, there are some really great looking third party tools/plugins for it that make certain other things easy enough for people who don't know much programming to make games.

kilele:
This one launched yesterday its first beta, I'm going to give it a try. The videos show a pretty cool interface and it seems easy to use to make classic arcade games. It's about to make a public release and doesn't have a forum yet.
Arcade Game Studio ARGS

kilele:
Does anyone here know of game-editor ?
It would be nice to read a mini-review or your opinions about this multiplatform opensource product.

kilele:
This BASIC programming language for games seems fun and allows to publish games as java applets which run surprisingly well on their site:
http://naalaa.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version