topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: McAfee for free  (Read 13798 times)

AdIyhc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • aka KikiBibi
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
Re: McAfee for free
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 05:01 PM »
I wouldn't touch it unless they paid me to.
- carpe noctem

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 05:15 PM »
Ditto

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 05:33 PM »
i would - i like mcaffee; not currently what im using, but it's a nice find i think.
thank you for the post!

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 05:43 PM »
Yeah, it is a nice find for the users who would use it, however, I've purchased NOD32 and I am now hooked!

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 05:45 PM »
I just don't want to have a virus infection or a sluggish machine... I feel safer without any AV than with McAfee. False sense of security and all that.
- carpe noctem

AdIyhc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • aka KikiBibi
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 07:26 PM »
You can use the "free" license to migrate to Dr.Web at 50% discount. :D

That is if you like Dr.Web. ;)

I think the offer ends at 30 Sep but from what the forums at Wilders said, these kind of offers is very common. :p

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 08:37 PM »
Mouser, when was the last time you used Mcaffee? Piece of crap these days IMO. Every single time I've come across a machine that uses it of late it's sluggish and miserable to use, and often even has spyware or even viruses on it, despite the fact that most people are using the "suite" version these days. And forget about trying to update it or anything - it uses some weird web page based service for almost everything and that seems all too easy to screw up, maybe through IE security settings or upgrades or who knows what. It's really funky. Pretty much every other A/V app I've seen has the decency to have its own "real", custom UI, not relying on web-based weirdness. Never had any problems with those (although I must say the UI in NOD is not particularly intuitive or functional IMO). But Mcaffee, I've definitely had lots of problems across multiple people's machines.

- Oshyan

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 09:42 PM »
The only AV app I hate more than Norton is McAfee, I would only use it if paid to do so.   I would use AVG Free before I even thought about using it.  I personally prefer Panda myself.

Oh ya, and to support Java, (you know i work in a shop right)?  I get people all the time that have that piece of garbage but cant update it due to the wierd web based subscription they have.  The most un user friendly piece of trash ever foisted on the public.  It is so bad they have to give it away, Comcast has been hawking it as a "perk" that they can download it for free, but I see it more as customer abuse than anything.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 09:44 PM by Tekzel »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 09:52 PM »
Hear-hear Tekzel! Good to hear some confirmation of the stuff I've seen. I do private computer support, but I see the same sorts of customers and problems you probably do at a shop. McAfee is god-awful. Recant mouser, recant! ;)

- Oshyan

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 02:23 AM »
Personal experience from being a McAfee Virus Scan user from versions 4 thru 7 and a McAfee Office 2000 user:

I had a lot of problems with stability on 9x. First with 98se and later on with WinME. Lots of programs locking up, blue screens, general freaky things happening like my taskbar locking up, PC freezing if a .rar file's icon was showing on my screen, random frequent low resource warnings, screen freezes that forced me to hit the reset button, etc. My average uptime on 98se was about 2 hours, uptime on WinME was about 4 hours.

Then one day I decided I wasn't going to pay for upgrading McAfee again. (I was really broke at the time and could hardly afford food, nevermind software).

rkarman told me to install the free AVG and it was the best thing I ever did. I am so glad I listened to him. All the weird problems went away and my WinME computer became one of the most stable 9x PC's I have ever seen, with uptimes in excess of 3 months, if I can keep my daughter away from it and I don't have a power failure.

Before I switched I thought McAfee was the best antivirus you could get. But experience has taught me otherwise.

But if you still like Mcafee and want a free copy and can't get it from the links given above, another way to do it would be to set up a free AOL account, even if you don't live in the US, and get the McAfee antivirus, firewall, and antispyware they provide for free. Then you can ditch the AOL software. (keep the account though...the 7 free IMAP email accounts are pretty good and their webmail kicks butt...rivaling Gmail in my opinion, or you can access them with any email client that can handle IMAP)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 04:07 AM »
Ooorrrr, you can go to AOL as well, but get their much better and lighter Kaspersky-based antivirus app: http://www.activevir...rus/freeav/index.adp

- Oshyan

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 06:03 AM »
Ooorrrr, you can go to AOL as well, but get their much better and lighter Kaspersky-based antivirus app: http://www.activevir...rus/freeav/index.adp

- Oshyan

Wow...I didn't know about that one. I only knew about the free McAfee they have been giving away for the last 2+ years.

Says at that link that you don't need AOL to get it for free. Might be the thing to go for instead of the AOL McAfee.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 03:35 PM »
Yep! It's a recent-ish release, last 3 months I'd say. I was quite pleased to see it. Good to have another quality free antivirus, and from a name that a lot of people do still trust and know (more than say AVG or Avast or whatever).

Also don't forget the 1 year free "Microsoft Promotion" Computer Associates eTrust license:
http://my-etrust.com/microsoft/

We use eTrust at my work on about 20 computers and it works great.

- Oshyan

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 06:14 PM »
I personally prefer Panda myself.

You can get one year of Panda's full Platinum Internet Security for free at:

http://www.pandasecurity.com/promotions/itathome/register.aspx

It's intended for IT people, but if you count your kids, dogs, and cats as employees (it certainly costs enough to feed them), I imagine qualifying isn't too hard.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006, 08:44 PM »
You can get one year of Panda's full Platinum Internet Security for free at:

http://www.pandasecurity.com/promotions/itathome/register.aspx

It's intended for IT people, but if you count your kids, dogs, and cats as employees (it certainly costs enough to feed them), I imagine qualifying isn't too hard.

The promotion isn't for business owners..it's for anyone that works in the IT profession. They are hoping by giving you a free copy that if there comes an opportunity where you can influence the antivirus decisions at work, that your positive experiences with their product will allow you to be free advertising for them.

I wonder if the work we do here on this site would qualify most of us legitimately for that free copy of Panda without the need to count our pets as employees.