topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Another good article on the power of web2.0 Branding  (Read 5162 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Another good article on the power of web2.0 Branding
« on: October 21, 2006, 06:28 AM »
Here's a blog essay that captures a lot of what I think is true.  Interestingly, it doesn't view this as a negative thing, simply as a lesson to "nurture your brand".

Personally, I guess i'm just not well suited to the world of branding - I find this stuff very disturbing.  In essence it says people judge a book by it's cover and the contents don't matter.  Want to succeed, build better covers.  Sure content matters a little in the begining, until you get some brand recognition, after that, it's all about the cover and the brand name.. :(

Why does Google dominate search? Brand. Google’s original search brand is so successful that they can’t even get people to use their vertical searches, e.g. Maps, Images, Video, Books, even when those tool better serve users needs. Use of Google’s core search is no longer a function of whether Google is better (in many cases it’s not). People use Google the same way they use P&G products – out of brand loyalty and often just out of habit.

Why did YouTube beat Google Video? Brand. Notably, it’s the community that defined the YouTube brand as much as the technology. Ultimately, it was the strength of the brand — and Google Video’s inability to compete with the brand’s dominace — that drove the acquisition. What makes the top blogs so successful? Brand. Again, community is a key driver, which you can see in the active comments on successful blogs. In many cases, blog brands are built around individuals, but they are brands nonetheless.

Why were Weblogs Inc. and Gawker among the first successful blog media companies? Because they built brands. I’ve heard Jason Calacanis say the reason he didn’t aggregate existing blogs, as Federated Media is doing, is that he wanted to own the brands.

Why is Yahoo the largest portal? Brand. Why do so many people shop at Amazon despite the proliferation of online shopping alternatives? Brand. Why is Digg so popular? Brand — again, a community-defined brand, but a brand nonetheless.

see also: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=5746.0

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Another good article on the power of web2.0 Branding
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 07:32 AM »
the question is then: what exactly is the donationcoder.com 'brand' going to represent/dominate?

it will only be able to represent ONE single idea/thing to the 'consumer'.

is donationcoder.com going to be a synonym for 'THE donationware site on the web' or is it going to be 'the most comprehensive software review site' or is it going to be 'THAT good natured forum'.

or, of course, non of the above.

it does seem to be the way to dominate - aim at one thing and be better than the competition at it. maybe donationcoder.com should be the dominant 'hybrid' site - or is that already covered by some other place?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 07:40 AM »
i'd rather we not get into this brand thing.. let's just concentrate on the content and let the chips fall where they may.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 07:47 AM »
ah, i see, DC will be the dominant non-brand brand.