ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: PPMd ZIP packer/extractor (i.e. WinZip 10 compatible)

<< < (3/3)

def:
No, the first post actually doesn't answer "why pander to silly Winzip users?". It says there are people out there who still use it - and of course there are - but doesn't answer why not just tell them to get a decent, standard-supporting (and free!) archiver. There are lots of great options - Tugzip, IZArc, ZipGenius, etc, etc. Or if they must pay, get WinRAR, which is far more capable and whose proprietary format actually doesn't suck. :D

All I'm saying is don't put up with their crap - tell them it's crap and get them to switch. It's your duty as a lover of good software. ;)
-JavaJones (October 07, 2006, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, you are right, I didn't say it as clearly as I thought. Given that most WinZip 10 users are somewhat new to computers they are really happy as soon as they manage to get along with WinZip that they are not likely to switch. Also, once they have already paid for WinZip, there's no point in arguing "try XYZ, it's even free!"
In general, I feel my job is not to convert people to other tools. I just accept the world as it is.  :-\
Anyway, I believe that we both don't like WinZip and we both prefer other tools, so we don't have to act as if we were arguing.  :D

JavaJones:
Hehe, we're not arguing. I'm just encouraging you to challenge these computer-new friends of yours to use *good* software. :D Try to catch them before they've paid for Winzip, but even if you don't, you can show them the advantages of Zipgenius and other alternatives. Just send them to get something cool in an archive format Winzip doesn't support. :D

- Oshyan

def:
Addendum:
PKware seems to follow the WinZip path:
PKWARE's APPNOTE.TXT Version: 6.3.0 covers now LZMA and PPMd support

As a consequence, both will probably be implemented in 7-Zip since Igor Pavlov uses PKware's Zip specification. See also:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1587697&forum_id=45797

Greetings,
Def

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version