ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: PPMd ZIP packer/extractor (i.e. WinZip 10 compatible)

(1/3) > >>

def:
I'd like to see a free program that can create and extract PPMd ZIP archives (introduced with WinZip 10). Specification is here: http://www.winzip.com/ppmd_info.htm

Although this format is not yet wide-spread and might never be, some people do use WinZip 10, and it would be nice to send them archives that use WinZip 10's full compression abilities. A command line program is totally suffient.

I've not yet found a program that is free of charge that can create PPMd ZIP archives. The only program I found is ZipStar http://www.speedproject.de/enu/zipstar/index.html that can extract PPMd ZIP archives and which is free for personal use.

Thanks for any comments,
Def

wr975:

All those different compression/encryption algorithms in ZIP files are quite confusing. I'll never forgive WinZip for messing with the ZIP standard.  :down:

PPMd is just a compression algorithm and IMO very slow. For enhanced zip files you can still create "normal" archives. If necessary (larger than 2 GB, splitfiles) it'll be a ZIP64 file. I think there's more support for ZIP64. Even WinRAR can unpack split ZIP64 zip files (unless it's encrypted in anything else than "Zip 2.0 standard").

I'd recommend creating a self extracting ZIP file, if you use a different compression algorithm and/or stronger encryption. So anyone can unpack it.

def:
Thanks for your answer, wr975.
An SFX archive might just be the solution. So far I have resisted the temptation to do so, not so much because of the overhead (size of SFX stub) but because people seem to fear viruses in EXE files.
But still it might be better to send an EXE file than to support WinZip's dirty attempt to mess with PKware's ZIP standard.

Thanks again,
Def

f0dder:
I'd just avoid .zip as much as possibble - especially those extended formats.

I use (standard) .zip (created by WinRAR) when I need to distribute small things, because just about everybody can open zips, and WinXP even has built-in support for zip.

When I need to send files to people, I use RAR. Better compression and good speed, and all people I send files to use WinRAR anyway :)

If I need to do a setup for something larger, I'll probably choose LZMA - cab, 7zip or nsis. Although RAR is still a viable choice, since at least the decompression algorithm is free.

def:
Okay, okay, you convinced me.  ;)
I hereby withdraw my wish.  :)

Greetings,
Def

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version