topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Voice in Vista: I can't get enough  (Read 6791 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Voice in Vista: I can't get enough
« on: August 31, 2008, 01:12 AM »
OK, the fact that I post about this shows how crazy I am over this. I havn't used voice recognition software since Talk-To-Type back in 2005, and that was a HORRIBLE product. I am using Vista's built in voice capabilities, and while I am still unable to type via voice, the commands alone are just so amazing to me. You tell the computer what you want to do, and it responds, and you respond back. It is like having a little mini conversation.

• "Start Notepad"
  • "Paste"
  • "Switch Application, Walt"
  • *Type*
  • "Switch application, Notepad"
  • "Minimize that"

Is a series of commands I said a few minutes ago (minus the typing). It just lets you interface so cool. I put my computer to sleep, delete files, run programs, control my media player... everything, with voice commands. It is just so breathtaking (except not being able to type with voice, but still).

I can't get enough. It's so fun and cool!

Anyone else use voice or speech tools? It might be interesting to see what other people use (I'm too cheap to use anything but built-in :P)

-Brandon

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Voice in Vista: I can't get enough
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 02:34 AM »
Brandon,

I have used Dragon NaturallySpeaking Pro version for a few years due to a disability that makes it difficult to type on a keyboard. Dragon has been the best speech recognition/dictation software for some time. However I have tried the Vista speech recognition yet. I do have a notebook running Vista Ultimate but to be honest I never input a lot on my notebook. Since I have the Dragon SR software on my desktop and if I do use the keyboard I prefer the larger full-size type. But I am going to have to give the Vista software a try - heard a few people talk it up!

Of course dictating commands is one thing; trying to input a lot of text using SR software is a different animal! BTW, the quality of microphone that you use makes a HUGE difference in recognition accuracy.

Jim

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 04:52 AM »
I just have a basic mic - $20 from the local Wal-Mart, but it will pick up any commands I give it like a champ (if I up the input volume to 100% it helps, and I have to activate the +20db boost if I am doing online gaming (dunno why), but it seems like a good microphone) - I just don't get text. I was able to get it to type "www." in IE, and again in Notepad, but after I said anything else, like "space", it put some random characters. "Balloon" returned ":" I think.

Almost, but not quite.

I don't have $100 to shell out on a voice-to-text app (just ordered a $91 laptop battery), but it does look like a quality app from what the website shows.

Testing Vista's built in SR right now: "Type the blue fox" (type being the command to type apparently...dunno why, the tutorial has you just start talking, but whatever works at this point) returned "wf". "Type bob" returns "p". But "Start Notepad" works great (as does everything else that is command based).

Basically, after running the little tool to help it learn your voice 3 times now: Don't rely on it for anything important. On Screen Keyboard is going to be more efficient at this point - I'll give it some more time tomorrow, but it is kind of upsetting at this point. I can get it to type letters, but whole words just seem to become random items.

Oh well. I am off to tell my PC to sleep. "Start, 15, OK."

-Brandon

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 09:11 AM »
I use it, and I am impressed jsut like you are.  Being able to speak what I want to type and having it appear with ACCURACY is quit wonderful.  Setting up macros is really helpful also.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 05:03 PM »
How do you access the Vista voice command stuff?

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 06:40 PM »
I went through a spurt of using Opera via its voice comand system, and chose the custom name "Hal" to trigger voice command.

"Hal, Load the webpage"
"I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do it"
"Load the goddamn page now, Hal!"
"Sorry Dave, the page contains ActiveX and invalid CSS, I can't let you do it"

you get the idea ;)  :P
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 11:56 PM »
How do you access the Vista voice command stuff?

Type in "speech" in Vista's Start Menu Search - XP it takes some Control Panel digging.

I finally got vista to understand most of my words - it won't type in Firefox though. But I don't really care at this point: IT WORKS! :D :beerchug:

What more can you ask for? (Cookies not applicable :P)