topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Procrastination vs. Having Great Fun Wandering  (Read 5805 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Procrastination vs. Having Great Fun Wandering
« on: September 23, 2006, 08:11 AM »
I've been thinking a little that maybe one of our problems in trying to "fight procrastination" or "be more efficient with our time", is that we often classify things as "wasting time" that are really sources of real enjoyment for us, though we don't consider them to be; and that maybe admitting how much we actually enjoy doing them might help us to manage our time better.

For example, many of us surf the internet a lot and search for new software, etc. And we sometimes view this as a huge time waster.  But if we admit that we obviously get real pleasure out of this, maybe it would help us to figure out how to fit it into our schedules and time management.

Maybe it just means pro-actively allocating yourself time to surf and treating it like a daily item that you need to make time for.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Procrastination vs. Having Great Fun Wandering
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 08:55 AM »
i think most procrastination problems are quite trivial and probably can be relabeled in the way you wish. remove the guilt by redefining the 'bad' habit as a 'good' habit, no harm in that really.

i see the only problem is if these habits prevent you from getting on with the 'bigger' task(s). i don't think there is any escaping REAL procrastination when yet another day or another week passes and the REAL task you've set yourself has been avoided yet again.

you can juggle the levels or importance or priority or pleasure as much as you like - the crucial thing is whether you are getting the REAL task done.

of course, if browsing the web or some other activity keeps you sane/happy then it definitely is important. but everything at the right time and in the right place i say. you'll know deep down whether you are just deceiving yourself about how bad a procrastinator you are.

i still think it would help to classify some things as 'work' and other things as 'play'. do your work and reward yourself with play. why would it be any other way.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 07:08 AM »
I've been quite for this idea. Browsing DonationCoder is now part of my tasks, simply because i have the need to do it.
Another advantage of seing it from this angle is that you can structure your time better and you don't feel like you are wasting time when surfing. This raises your self-esteem since you don't feel you spend most of your time not doing anything.
The side effects are that this self-esteem boost will help you to get more work done.
At least, that's how it has been working for me ;)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 07:14 AM »
if it helps to get more done then it's the right way to do it.