topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: frugal life, pc fasting: do not install any new applications in 30 days  (Read 16933 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think I spend a good 30 min a day trying out new applications.
I'm going to cut back on that, trying not to install any new program (unless it's an automatic update) for a month, starting today Sept 22nd.

I won't click in dc reviews, nor will follow lifehacker links that lead to new soft.

I will make a list of things I may find during that month to install once it's over IF they are super-crucial.

Hopefully, that'll gain me about 15 hours in a month, which is not bad.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: frugal life, pc fasting: do not install any new applications in 30 days
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 01:25 PM »
it's fun installing new programs, but i do think one could benefit from as you say not installing them on spur of the moment impulse.

in fact i would suggest you adopt a version of this habit always.

install new software ONLY on the 1st or so of each month.  if you find something before then that looks fun, put it on a list to install at your next date.  another benefit of this is you can back up your system first once a month., so you can more easily roll back if something goes wrong.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 01:35 PM »
batch working as you might call it.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 03:03 PM »
yep, that would agree with the 'impulse fighting' described in GED and DIT (the reactive brain vs. rational brain). It also agrees with doing things in batches (which is recommended by all systems).

With the extra 15hrs, I plan to write a short story a month. A lot more interesting and fun, no matter how much fun installing software may be.

brownstudy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Pantaloon
    • View Profile
    • Oddments of High Unimportance
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 09:20 PM »
Mike Shea has a nice posting on what used to be called "the fiddle factor." It's not about PC fasting, per se, more about how to tame these beasts.

The Philosophy of Google Desktop
http://www.mikeshea....ophy_of_Google_.html

Here's a quote from his essay:
I spent a good few nights over the past month dorking around with Ubuntu and a broken installation of Windows XP. It shouldn't take two nights to get iTunes to run - of course the problem was my own. I should never tinker, optimize, or customize - the result is never worth the effort.

Of course, I continue to tinker and customize, I'm always on the search for new goodies. But I like mouser's suggestion of only installing new stuff on the 1st. I already have designated the 1st and 15th of the month to do my financial housekeeping, so designating the 2nd of the month as install night would be a good reward.

mike

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 01:37 AM »
urlwolf, that's great to hear you are going to start writing a short story - a month!

i think that is a fantastic idea. please, keep us informed of your progress. it will be encouraging to know what happens.

(i've just remembered that i gave up watching 'neighbours' the australian soap opera about 15 years ago as i finally realised the plots were/are cyclic. with the free time i started to read books - something i never did as the books i read at school put me off for life. anyway, i just mention it as it was one of the most important things i did in my life. if anyone is looking for an extra 30 free minutes a day, then i thoroughly recommend to stop watching soap operas - you'll soon wonder why you ever watched them at all.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 01:45 AM by nudone »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 02:11 AM »
Of course, I continue to tinker and customize, I'm always on the search for new goodies. But I like mouser's suggestion of only installing new stuff on the 1st. I already have designated the 1st and 15th of the month to do my financial housekeeping, so designating the 2nd of the month as install night would be a good reward.

Don't forget to schedule an uninstall night for all the goodies that you lost interest in about a month later.  ;D

Terry

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Falcon21 Home PC Security
    • Donate to Member
I am surprised that there are others having the same habit as me ;D. I like to try out new and interesting applications and now it filled up my hard disk  :P. So I stopped going to download sites and also unsubscribed from mailing list and newsletter. In the end...no time is saved! I spend more time playing game... :-[