topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Apparent bugs - newbie  (Read 6689 times)

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Apparent bugs - newbie
« on: September 02, 2005, 08:41 AM »
v 1.05.21

1. F&R apparently accepted my license key but Help-About still shows 179 days to renewal, even after exit / restart.

2. I don't understand alias groups. I have 2 aliases named:
  .abcx
  .abcy
but when I type .abc then only .abcy is shown though both are partial matches

3. When a group alias contains a URL, F&R is inconsistent about what it displays in the Name columns. It seems that this should always contain the URL. The following URL displays as expected (except see my note below about "http://")
  http://www.abc.com/site/index.html
But in this one, the final folder name is omitted altogether, making it very difficult to know what is being shown.
  http://www.abc.com/site/

4. Also, the URL parser for URLs in a group alias does not realize that URLs may contain colons after the http:, resulting in the difficult to read situation where this URL is parsed after the second colon instead of the first as expected:
http://www.abc.com:1...rontend/x/index.html

(Actually I'd rather that it put the entire URL including http:// in the name column and put the name of the group in the location column, but I realize that I have not yet grokked the essence of F&R so I'll just mention this as a weak preference.)

Thanks!

(I shouldn't be doing this right now, too overloaded... I should just use F&R to save lots of time and come back in a month when I can. But I did want to pass on these initial comments.)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Apparent bugs - newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 09:17 AM »
jdmarch, you may have downloaded a key before you were upgraded to charter member status, the freeware keys need to be renewed every 180 days.  go back to https://www.donationcoder.com/Keys and grab your universal non-expiring key and replace that from about box.

i will check the alias matching you cite - as you say both should show, although aliases are usually used by typing the full alias.

i will fix url listing, i think youve found some bugs in it.

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 10:21 PM »
Thanks, the key is working now.

The reason to show all matching aliases is that I might not remember all of them.

Is there and explanation somewhere of alias groups? What happens if I have multiple URLs associated with one group name?

Thanks!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 11:51 PM »
having multiple entries in an alias is very useful -
they will show up in the results list when you type the name of the alias and you can choose between them.

note that url launching was not until recently appreciated by me as a real desired use of f&r, that's why support for it is not perfect.  but new releases will fix this, and we'll get it working perfectly.  support for searching firefox bookmarks is also coming.

the help file needs a little updating, but group aliases are in their under config -> aliases.

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 09:21 AM »
Good, that is how I thought alias groups were supposed to work.

But FYI this is not working at all for URLs in a group.

I do understand now that URLs are a new feature in F&R, and look forward to their more consistent support.

Thanks again.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 09:28 AM »
yep, its just the fact that there are urls that is confusing its display of multiple group alias contents.
will be fixed in next version, due out monday i expect.

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 08:03 AM »
Another bug: F&R does not respect the "Start In" directory in shortcut files. In some cases, this can mean that the program simply won't run.

I might have seen some discussion about allowing F&R to configure whether a window should be maximized when started? Since that's already part of the shortcut file, why re-invent the wheel?

And a small suggestion: Direct links in Help menu to the website and especially to this forum (rather than through the About submenu.)

Thanks!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 08:10 AM »
the start in directory SHOULD be respected - there are a bunch of tricky little issues with this but it seems it needs another pass of tweaking, i will have it fixed in this weeks release.  can you make a note of the short cut that does this so you can retest it with the new release?

yes i will add links on all the help pages good idea.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 07:46 AM »
i found the problem relating to start in dir, a fix will be up later today.

for anyone wondering why this bug would still be in the code after many version, read through some of the other threads in the section about the oddities of launching certain files like ms excel files.

there are some very odd cases that F&R tries to handle smartly; this means that sometimes F&R launches a shortcut directly, somtimes it reads the target of a shortcut and launches the app directly, and sometimes it hands off the job of launching the shortcut target to a tiny little helper utility whose only job is to launch an app without slowing down the main program :)

anyway, fix will be up later tonight, just going to try to fix the other bugs in this thread first..