ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

My favorite software! What's yours?

<< < (45/55) > >>

Curt:
Mempad's lack of unicode is a deal breaker for me though. -najja (April 10, 2008, 04:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
MemPad has all those features (as far as I understand them) except drag & drop.-rjbull (April 10, 2008, 03:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

We now know that MemPad both supports Unicode, and has Drag&Drop.  :up:

I am very sorry for assuming that because I once tried a program from Horst that didn't support Unicode, then none of his programs did. I was wrong: ALL his programs for Windows 32 BIT supports Unicode! Sorry I implied otherwise - and Thanks to rjbull for the PM!

... Actually, all  my Windows programs support all characters that can be found in Charmap.exe (the programmer does not have to take care about this). And MemPad, for example will change "æøå" to uppercase without problems.

Windows also supports character sets like Greek or Russian in single byte, non-UNICODE mode (many MemPad users), but UNICODE, of course is absolutely necessary, if you want to mix different character sets. My windows programs even work under a chinese emulation (though there are some problems with search functions..)

My old DOS programs, however, are limited to the DOS character set, and uppercase functions are somewhat limited.-email from Horst Schaefer
--- End quote ---

Other than that I think MemPad is the strangest program I can think of. You have to forget everything you ever thought you knew about how to create a note, in order to use this weird program! Or were all of my problems with MemPad maybe because of unavailable hotkeys, or my unstable PC? Hmm...

edited for insert from Horst's email

paulobrabo:
I use mempad as my all-round note-taking thingie, and don't think it's strange at all. Its text-only approach fits my needs completely.

The latest version has customizable hotkey support (if for for hotkey you mean a shortcut to evoke and send back the application to the tray).

I didn't think I could live without Keynote's tabs, but boy was I was wrong.  :up:

rjbull:
Other than that I think MemPad is the strangest program I can think of. You have to forget everything you ever thought you knew about how to create a note, in order to use this weird program! Or were all of my problems with MemPad maybe because of unavailable hotkeys, or my unstable PC? Hmm...
-Curt (April 14, 2008, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

No problem here with Alt-Ins or Ctrl-Alt-Ins?  And you have the two buttons just to the right of the "NEW:" button?

muntealb:
However, regardless of what the program's author says, Mempad does not fully support Unicode. The romanian letters Ș and Ț (S and T with comma below) cannot be written inside Mempad, the software displays question marks instead (??). It's the sign that Unicode is not fully supported. From the notetakers only NoteCase and Flashnote are fully compatible with Unicode.

http://notecase.sourceforge.net/

http://softvoile.com/flashnote/

hoshi:
We now know that MemPad both supports Unicode, and has Drag&Drop
-Curt (April 14, 2008, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

MemPad does not support UNICODE, I am sorry to say (I am the author).

UNICODE uses a multi byte code that covers all languages of the planet, and even allows displaying Chinese, Russian and English on the same page. For a programmer this is more difficult to handle than ANSI, which stores all characters in a single byte.

ANSI includes the standard English character set (first half of the 256 codes) as well as a set of special characters that can be configured through Windows' regional settings. The "Western" set includes all sorts of western european special characters (see Charmap.exe).

Windows programs usually handle all these characters, including conversions upper/lower case. For regions like Russia or Greece the "Western" set is replaced with a regional set, which works nicely, and still supports ANSI English, but you cannot mix Russian and German umlauts, for example.

Programs without UNICODE support can even handle Chinese or Japanese, because those Windows versions have emulations that support 2-byte codes and pretend it's normal single byte code. However that is likely to fail on memory string operations.

BTW: Another issue is the OEM character set ("DOS") that is used for Windows console programs ..

horst

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version