ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

My favorite software! What's yours?

<< < (16/55) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
- Sygate Personal Firewall
-MerleOne (November 09, 2006, 03:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sygate was purchased by Symantec about a year ago...the firewall is outdated (and no longer offered or supported). Its sad cause it was my favorite firewall... :(

jeromg:
Now, my list:
  - powerpro: can't live without it for years
  - autohotkey: might replace powerpro if I can rewrite my shortcuts and scripts
  - al ex-sysinternals utilities (mostly: ProcessExplorer, PsTools, Handle.exe), now property of Microsoft
  - maxthon: so time-saving, can't imagine browsing without it
  - IZArc: clean, fast, reliable
  - IrfanView: what else?
  - FileZilla: easy, efficient
  - ScreenshotCaptor: no other screenshot tool can match it
  - VisualStudio 2005: mostly because of intellisense (as mentioned earlier in this thread)
  - DeepBurner Pro: burning made easy
  - Orb: access my pictures and music from everywhere
  - Vim: spent too many years on Unix machines to work without it
  - EmEditor: slowly replacing vim on my boxes

Dirhael:
1. Directory Opus
- By far the best file manager available, and well worth the asking price. Excellent support & the application just feels "right." It handles most of my image-management-, S/FTP- & global hotkey-needs in addition to the excellent file handling. The search functions are among the best I've ever seen, rivaling even most of the dedicated search apps. Probably the worlds most customizable application, something that just adds to the value. My only issue with it is that the license is a bit restrictive, but that's not really related to the program itself.

2. [url=http://www.ghisler.com/[/url]Total Commander[/url]
- The second best file manager, that complements Dopus well with its large collection of file-system plugins. My only real problem with it is not the application itself, but rather the fact that it's a pain in the read-end to actually buy/register it. Buying applications online should never be as hard as this, ever! Also, the program itself could use some more options to configure its core functions, as there is no reason to force me to press "yes, I'm sure for the 1000th damn time that I want to delete this folder, even if there's a system file in it!" Other than those issues, I mostly love it :)

3. Find And Run Robot.
- I have barely touched the start-menu since I installed this. It's fast, easy to use & in general makes my life easier. I like that!

4. Zoom Player WMV Professional
Watching videos without Zoom Player is a pain. While it's not for everyone, I absolutely love the filter-management features, and the full-screen navigators in the latest 5 betas are excellent. Really makes it easier to watch videos from the PC on the old 'tube'. The only thing it needs to be perfect is internal subtitle parsing so that you could have re-synced them using hotkeys, instead of having to open the Directvobsub interface.

5. Foobar 2000
- After discovering Foobar 2k, all other audio-players got uninstalled. There's no need for anything else when you already have the perfect player right here. It's fast, has excellent unicode handling (which is more than you can say for WMP & WinAMP :-\), handles any format I throw at it, it's playlist-centric & I can customize it to do just about anything.

6. True Launch Bar
- Quick-launch toolbars the way it should be done. The fact that it supports plugins only makes it better, as today I wouldn't dream of not having a media toolbar for controlling my audio player of choice.

7. Taskbar Shuffle
- Why this function never was implemented in Windows is a mystery, but who really cares when there's excellent freeware applications that makes re-ordering taskbar items as easy as this?

8. Opera
- This is exactly how a browser should be made. About as close to perfect as such an application can be.

9. Ad Muncher
- The best ad-filtering utility available. Really, it's brilliant. Just looking at the stats since my last OS installation makes me smile :)
Ad Muncher Usage Statistics for v4.7 Build 27105/1416
Adverts removed by Ad Muncher:  46,690
Approximate bandwidth saved:    364 MB
Counter started:                oktober 28, 2006

--- End quote ---

10. Faststone Image Viewer
- I think I've tried close to all available image browsers, but this is what use when I have to do more with the image than Dopus can take care of. My favourite feature is probably the superb wallpaper functions and the full-screen browser/editing functions. If not for the fact that it uses one of those terrible skinned interfaces (it's really bad, without any option to use the Windows default), I'd give it a close-to-perfect score.

rjbull:
Gyula's Navigator : I use this file manager at work and I have never found one that has a great combination of features that I need:  It is freeware, is completely portable
-Tekzel (November 11, 2006, 10:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Tekzel,

Do you have an old version with a different license, or work in a college?  I just looked at their license terms, and it's only free for personal or educational use, otherwise $20 for 5 licenses.  Cheap, but not free for business use.

mikedutch:
Links to lots of good tools:  http://home.comcast.net/~mike.dutch/wsb/html/view.cgi-showresources.html-TopRes-General.html

Enjoy :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version