topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: My favorite software! What's yours?  (Read 218200 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: My favorite software! What's yours?
« Reply #225 on: April 14, 2008, 12:22 PM »
UNICODE is a big can of worms.

One big issue is that we old-school programmers are used to dealing with 'characters'. One character = one item displayed on screen. Unicode changes things around a lot, with terms such as "code points", "glyphs", ... and even when you use UTF-16 encoding (windows' unicode format), one 16-bit isn't necessarily enough to display one glyph on the screen.

To make matters worse, things like comparing strings for equality becomes very hard - should the german ß be treated equally to "ss"? Some glyphs may look equal on screen, but be different characters. A glyph can be constructed by multiple code points in different order (this can be fixed via canonization though). And what about upper/lower casing? Not every language supported by unicode has a concept of this.

Too bad the entire world wasn't colonized by England, and all previous history/culture/LANGUAGE burnt :p
- carpe noctem

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #226 on: April 14, 2008, 05:17 PM »
:p

Because of the ":p" I will forgive you, f0dder - but I happen to like our æ, ø and å...

---
But Thank You to Horst and f0dder for these two mini lessons. I have learned more about Unicode during the last five minutes than ever before - I thought it was some kind of wonder technique.  :up:

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #227 on: April 14, 2008, 05:45 PM »
Too bad the entire world wasn't colonized by England, and all previous history/culture/LANGUAGE burnt :p

:) Ahah. Yes. It makes it pretty complicated. Sometimes I wouldn't mind getting rid of French -- I'm not to attached to the thing. Uselessly intricate.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #228 on: April 15, 2008, 04:18 AM »
I'm not sure about the idea of the english culture being the only one in the world... especially if all the other cultures had disappeared before they improved the english one a bit 

The whole world would be eating boiled food and living in a caste culture :o

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #229 on: April 15, 2008, 06:07 AM »
iphigenie: it was meant jokingly, in frustration. I really would wish that we'd have only one language to bother about, though, and English wouldn't be the worst choice for that. It's sane computing wise, and while there's a lot of exceptions and quirks, it's a very rich language with a very rich vocabulary (exhume always comes to mind - a verb for "dig up dead people", how crazy is that :)).
- carpe noctem

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #230 on: April 15, 2008, 07:16 AM »
interesting choice, exhume - 1783, from Fr. exhumer, from M.L. exhumare, from L. ex- "out of" + humare "bury," from humus "earth." An earlier form was exhumate (1548), taken directly from the M.L.  (http://www.etymonlin...ex.php?search=exhume) no latin no french we would have missed such a worthy word  ;)

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #231 on: April 15, 2008, 09:32 AM »
F0dder - I did smile, and that's why i replied as a joke too - there *is* more to english culture than boiled food, I think, there's.... there's.... 

;)

And you are right about unicode being a right pain from a technical point of view. I cant count the issues unicode has caused me in web development, but it was a lot of wasted hours and half my 20 white hairs come from it.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #232 on: April 15, 2008, 09:44 AM »
The whole world would be eating boiled food
-iphigenie
Nothing wrong with grey meat and limp vegetables, I grew up on them I see your point!

exhume always comes to mind - a verb for "dig up dead people", how crazy is that
-f0dder

Crazy?  From where do you think all that boiled food comes!?

Surely everyone knows you can't eat raw dead people.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #233 on: April 15, 2008, 09:57 AM »
 ;D

surftwo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #234 on: April 15, 2008, 08:34 PM »
My favorite software as of latley:
  • firefox
  • Thunderbird
  • Blender
  • TreeNotesDB
  • XYplorer
  • Scrapbook
  • Todo list

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #237 on: April 16, 2008, 05:07 PM »
Interesting software Kartal and Tide. Lots of nice visual arts apps. Thanks for sharing.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #238 on: April 16, 2008, 05:55 PM »
Input director http://www.inputdirector.com/

If you would be so kind, Kartal....can you explain me the difference between your 'Input Director' and my 'Synergy'?

Sorry, currently my head is swamped because of a software delivery dead line but I still cannot resist the "call" from this forum  ;)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #239 on: April 16, 2008, 06:59 PM »
Input director offers seamless integration. I do nto know if synergy offers but you can move your mouse without shortcuts to other screen(s). And It is easier to setup, offers clipboard as well.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #240 on: July 16, 2008, 04:31 AM »
Current favs/must haves:

First off, we have the usual suspects: Firefox, Find and Run Robot,

Roboform - Since I got Roboform, I have actually followed the advice I always gave others and assigned unique passwords to various web services.  My Roboform password is pretty much a string of random characters that correspond somewhat to a sentence that was written on something on my desk when I first set it up, so I feel secure that it won't be easy to break.

Office 2007 - The more I use it, the more I like it.  I can't work efficiently with earlier versions now that I am used to the ribbon.

MyLife Organized on PC and PocketPC

It's the summer, so I have lots of time to play games...

Oblivion (Game of the Year Edition) http://www.elderscro...blivion_overview.htm
Audiosurf http://www.audio-surf.com/
Gish http://www.chroniclogic.com/gish.htm
Gametap games http://gametap.com

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #242 on: July 17, 2008, 03:32 AM »
Roboform - Since I got Roboform, I have actually followed the advice I always gave others and assigned unique passwords to various web services.  My Roboform password is pretty much a string of random characters that correspond somewhat to a sentence that was written on something on my desk when I first set it up, so I feel secure that it won't be easy to break.

Do you mean, you have a master password for Roboform that then runs different passwords for different services; or, that you've assigned them all different passwords in Roboform as well?  I thought the former approach was usual.  If the latter, how do you remember them all?

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #243 on: July 17, 2008, 03:44 AM »
I have one master password for Roboform and unique passwords for various web services, accounts, etc.  Yes, that's the usual way to use Roboform, but before I started using it, I just had a few passwords that I used for everything.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #244 on: July 17, 2008, 05:21 AM »
Yes, that's the usual way to use Roboform, but before I started using it, I just had a few passwords that I used for everything.

And its much easier to remember just one master password   8)  No wonder Roboform, KeePass etc. are popular.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #245 on: July 17, 2008, 09:31 PM »
My current hands-down favorite is the oddly named Write Monkey.

From the website:
Zenware for full screen distraction free creative writing. No whistles and bells, just empty screen, you and your words. WriteMonkey is light, fast, and perfectly handy for those who enjoy the simplicity of a typewriter but live in modern times.

Write Monkey is a writer's tool.  It comes up as a blank screen that you can type on. But beneath that simple interface there are a host of features just a right click or keystroke away. Mouse or command key - the choice is yours. (F1 brings up the help screen. See below)

(This screenshot shows the fullscreen view reduced to a window. It can be toggled back and forth by hitting ESC F11)

monkey02.jpg

There's even a feature to turn on a typewriter sound for those of us old enough to appreciate the crutch that old clickety-clack provides.

Does not require installation. Just unzip to a pendrive (or the directory of your choice) and get writing.

Download link: http://pomarancha.co...ritemonkey/index.php
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:45 PM by 40hz »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #246 on: July 18, 2008, 03:43 AM »
[offtopic] I am pretty sure there's a topic here on DC with a few text editors similar to the one 40hz just posted, I just can't find the topic :( [/offtopic]

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #247 on: July 18, 2008, 03:46 AM »
[offtopic] I am pretty sure there's a topic here on DC with a few text editors similar to the one 40hz just posted, I just can't find the topic :( [/offtopic]

That's correct jgpaiva. See this link:

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=11917.0

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #248 on: July 18, 2008, 03:47 AM »

Darkroom is a similar Windows one based on a mac programme (WriteRoom?)
Darkroom is extremely basic, nice, but a bit buggy with cut/copy n paste so thanks for the tip 40hz :up:
Tom

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #249 on: July 18, 2008, 03:48 AM »
That's correct jgpaiva. See this link:

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=11917.0
[offtopic] Oh, and writemonkey was there too! Thanks for finding the link, phil! [/offtopic]