ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

idea for donation coder CD

(1/5) > >>

mukestar:
Ive noticed a couple of  .iso`s going around the world of torrent that are usefull to carry around as there full of usefull tools when encountering virgin pc`s.

Just a thought that maybe we should compile a Donation Coder essential tools CD, to be distributed in the same way. Two good reasons would be there just damn handy to have and it`ll raise the profile of the site.

The compilation im thinking of would include the following.

1.Its a bootable cd (i.e freedos or any similar free OS to offer some recovery and set up tools)
2.All the software included is allowed to be re-distributed (of course)
3.System and Network tools (subnet calculators, file monitors and extended process exporers etc)
4.General productivity tools (open office, firefox, 7zip etc)
5.Anything else we can stick on that people cant live without (as long as it complies with part 2)

Good or Bad idea?

Renegade:
Good idea - especially if some of us developers can volunteer our software to be on it~!  :D

housetier:
I think this is a good idea.  :up:

There is a similar project in Germany, which promotes open source software for Microsoft Windows. It used to be one CD but now they have switched to DVDs, probably because there is so much software. It is regularly updates and surprisingly is distributed as full iso images, not torrents. I am sure such projects exist for the English speaking community as well.

I am mentioning this project because we might want to contact them and learn how the distribution process should be managed, and whom to talk to for mirroring and such.

I am in favor of using torrents though. This would require interesting parties to have a bittorrent client, to be sure, but mirroring wouldn't be a problem.

mukestar:
Well my thinking was actually full .ISO via torrent, and not so much a showcase of open source, more essential tools to keep handy and in a central source, plus  tools and apps that improve common tasks and help in troubleshooting. Kind off like the Hirem distro`s but with actual windows applications as well.

Basically a swiss army knife for tools and apps.

housetier:
I was only referring to a more specialized project. I never meant to make yet another open source thing. But the problems of distribution are the same, no matter what kind of software it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version