ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What are Trackback/Pings?

(1/3) > >>

housetier:
Yes you heard right!

I don't really know what Trackback/Pings are.   :o :huh: :-[

Come on, you gotta be kidding!

No I am not. For years I have heard of them. Once hadez even tried to explain it to me, but I still don't get it. I know they have got something to do with articles, news, blogs posts, that sort of thing. And I know they are meant to "report back", or notifying.

So, what don't you know?

What I don't know how to use them; how they work; how they are technically realized; what's in it for site showing off "trackback url here" and what's in it for another using (how?) said url.

So could you guys explain to me in simple terms with examples what trackbacks/pings are? I might be missing out here, you know! Maybe this is why only a handful people ever write comments on my site; who knows... YOU DO! So please let me in on the secret of these trackback/pings.

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

mouser:
house i know you wont be surprised when i point you to wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trackback

the most common definition i know of is that a trackback is used to keep track of people who link to a blog story.

so your blog will be notified when other people refer to your blog story, and keep a list of such referals so that you can easily see who links to your stories.

housetier:
So how do I use it?

Assuming I have a trackback url, how do I tell my blog thingie to notify someone else's blog thingie? Would I see an extra input field for my post?

edit: "have" is now spelled correctly

app103:
Pings are to a service like Weblogs.com which post a page of recently updated blogs.

It is a way of letting people know when you have made a new post...and people that frequent that site can discover your blog by seeing a link to it there.

It's a publicity & marketing tool.

f0dder:
I'm confuzzled too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version