ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2006

i'd like to buy some discipline please.

<< < (4/9) > >>

nudone:
this is worth reading http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/06/self-discipline-willpower/

So if willpower can only be used in short, powerful bursts, then what’s the best way to apply it? How do you keep from slipping back into old patterns once the temporary willpower blast is over?
--- End quote ---

so, if you accept what Pavlina is saying, then if you are waiting for self-discipline to finally kick in and take over your life every single day - forget it, it ain't gonna happen.

i find this shocking. i thought, to become super disciplined would be the conclusion of this DC GTD experiment. clearly this is where i'm going wrong. i'm trying to achieve something that isn't possible.

i've not read everything Pavlina says on the topic of self-discipline yet but i think he's onto something...

urlwolf:
Nudone, are you changing your view on Pavlina?
I almost sense a new convert :)

app103:
I think the problem is abrupt extreme changes.

I think it works better if you make small changes you can live with and don't change more till you have adjusted to the first ones you have made.

The abrupt extreme changes are what cause most to fail.

Giving up the bad habits all at once makes you feel deprived and miserable...as if you are trying to be someone you are not...so you revert back to your old ways.

But if you made one change, like giving up one bad habit and replacing it with one good one, instead of a million changes, it is easier to live with that change...then add others 1 at a time as you can accept them.

I think 3 months is too short of a time to reinvent yourself...the changes won't last.

For me personally, a change or 2 a month is about all I can handle without losing my identity and becoming confused & depressed.

nudone:
app, what you say makes a lot of sense. i'm just wondering if perhaps a 'shock to the system' with an abrupt change might also help?

i can see that changing things too quickly is going to hurt, but that's why Pavlina is recommending to change your environment so there is less chance of failure. avoiding depression i'm not so sure of.

Nudone, are you changing your view on Pavlina?
--- End quote ---

i'm not sure. i've always liked some things he says and disliked others. perhaps my prejudice is that he tries to cover EVERYTHING, so i expect an answer to EVERYTHING. like the revelation about 'self-discipline', he tells me something i didn't expect but doesn't give me the complete answer i'd like to hear. i appreciate that is my problem and not his.

Arjen:
so, if you accept what Pavlina is saying, then if you are waiting for self-discipline to finally kick in and take over your life every single day - forget it, it ain't gonna happen.

i find this shocking. i thought, to become super disciplined would be the conclusion of this DC GTD experiment. clearly this is where i'm going wrong. i'm trying to achieve something that isn't possible.
-nudone (September 23, 2006, 11:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, according to Pavlina, willpower is just one of the aspects of self-discipline.

I don't think you will be self-disciplined as a result of implementing a system like GTD. I think it's the other way around: you need self-discipline to implement the system. The goal of systems like GTD is having more focus on what you want to do, so that's the desired result.

Of course, once you get going on being more focussed and doing things that motivates you (gives you passion) to keep going. But you'll still need self-discipline to keep moving. (As described by Pavlina in "Passion vs. Self-discipline".)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version