ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Here's an extremely cool development: a solid state 32GB laptop hard drive

(1/2) > >>

KenR:
Just imagine what this will do for drive speed!

Samsung's been hogging the Solid State Disk limelight for months with their 32GB SSD first peeped at CeBIT. So it does our invisible hand some good to hear TDK launch their version of the 32GB SSD, albeit in sample quantities only for the time being. TDK's unit connects to a standard IDE connector yet measures in at 80 percent the size of standard 2.5-inch laptop drive. And like the Sammy SSD, we expect to see some blazin' reads and writes with better protection against shock, faster OS boots and sleep recovery times, longer battery life and reduced weight when TDK gets around to mass production. So for now, all we really want to say is welcome to the party TDK. Now how 'bout driving down that premium pricing, mkay?

--- End quote ---

Read the original post ...

from www.engadget.com

f0dder:
I'd *love* to use something like that as my primary drive in my workstation... should give very high sustained read/write speeds, and *fantastic* seek time. Raptor? Go home  :-*

housetier:
I don't understand enough of this hightech hardware stuff. This doesn't have anything to do with perpendicular recording(sp?). does it?

Have I just outed myself as the anti-nerd when it comes to hardware? What is "solid state"?

Carol Haynes:
Data is basically stored on memory chips instead of a disc - the chips don't lose their data when power is removed. Consequently you get much faster access (being chips) and there are no moving parts to wear out or damage when you drop it on the floor (the LCD display may not like it though ;))

housetier:
I see I see... I remember this from science-fiction novels and movies.

But being chips, where do these "storage modules" get their drive from?  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version